Northshore Bob

State weighs ban on commercial striped bass

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I thought this was interesting....

 

"The lax commercial regulations and lack of enforcement is why so many people feel at liberty to break the law by selling to unscrupulous dealers, markets and restaurants," he said. "In one case, a refrigerated truck was driving up and down the Cape Cod canal, taking striped bass from a network of poachers, for sale, presumably, to the black market."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

I thought this was interesting....

 

"The lax commercial regulations and lack of enforcement is why so many people feel at liberty to break the law by selling to unscrupulous dealers, markets and restaurants," he said. "In one case, a refrigerated truck was driving up and down the Cape Cod canal, taking striped bass from a network of poachers, for sale, presumably, to the black market."

 

Probably true, and possibly a reason to have such a ban... though...  conjecture and hearsay is not material to legislate from.

One could easily argue that banning would create a bigger black market if such endeavors are taking place now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, pogie_boy said:

 

Probably true, and possibly a reason to have such a ban... though...  conjecture and hearsay is not material to legislate from.

One could easily argue that banning would create a bigger black market if such endeavors are taking place now.

Just found it interesting as we are so Canal orientated here.

 

Got no dog in this fight. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Plug and teaser said:

Just found it interesting as we are so Canal orientated here.

 

Got no dog in this fight. :)

 

Oh me neither..   I have more of a problem with people trying to make their case with generalizations and poor arguments than anything.   It's kind of like when I watch football.   I root for whichever team is losing and get pissed when they screw up or screwed  by a call.  Except Pittsburgh, I really wanted Cinci to beat them last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

 

Oh me neither..   I have more of a problem with people trying to make their case with generalizations and poor arguments than anything.   It's kind of like when I watch football.   I root for whichever team is losing and get pissed when they screw up or screwed  by a call.  Except Pittsburgh, I really wanted Cinci to beat them last night.

Oh my lord that was painful to watch, the head injuries and the guy who could not feel his legs on the field after a hit, prayers for him and his family, I have to admit I don't watch football like I used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allow folks who can prove they have legitimately made significant income - say $2000/yr minimum - for at least five years to keep their comm permits and shut off everything else.

 

See the Old School Cod thread about why - the bass fishery is nothing like it was, could be, or will be unless more conservative measures are taken.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, mumichog said:

Allow folks who can prove they have legitimately made significant income - say $2000/yr minimum - for at least five years to keep their comm permits and shut off everything else.

 

See the Old School Cod thread about why - the bass fishery is nothing like it was, could be, or will be unless more conservative measures are taken.  

Obviously you don't know the history of the striped bass fishery in MA nor do I think you ever grew up as a working person in a coastal town............Bass were always xtra money for working families no matter what they did for a living.........Cod and Bass are apples and oranges.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, robc22 said:

Obviously you don't know the history of the striped bass fishery in MA nor do I think you ever grew up as a working person in a coastal town............Bass were always xtra money for working families no matter what they did for a living.........Cod and Bass are apples and oranges.........

It just seems...... Un- American to me.

 

If there is to be Commercial fishing for Stripers........ a guy should be able to throw a line out, catch one and sell it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.