Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

Large Space Temporary Heating Question

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

I've been asked to research whether it's possible, on temporary basis, to heat a large space, like a grade-school gymnasium, that is heated, but barely: there's enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing, but for human occupation, it sucks. On a cold day, I was told, it will be 40 inside the building, and I'm supposed to explore whether renting temporary heating is feasible. Square footage is an issue, but the height of the ceiling, about 20 feet, is an issue too -- I dunno if running a heater will end up making it toasty in the rafters, and freezing at floor level. 

Do party rental places, the kind of places that rent moon bounces, rent heaters? Is there one that could heat something this size? It's inside, so open flames (like propane heaters) are no good, and anything that produces CO (like the old Philly standby, broken up pallets in a 55-gallon drum) is out too. 

Any suggestions? The group is open to spending some money, but not a lot - they don't have a lot. Good suggestions will get a dartboard-worthy picture of Terri Mae. :howdy:

*  Call the industrial rental houses, United, Sunbelt etc. and talk to them. I don't think a party rental is going to have something for a large space like that.

57 mins ago, ted527 said:

What utilities are available?

maybe some radiant heaters hung from ceiling?

how often will it be used?

It's a one-day thing, and there's electric, but not gas. 

I think the winner so far is to run heaters like mad before anyone gets there, and they hope/pray that residual heat, plus the body heat of the people who will be in it, will keep it warm for a while. 

I'm hoping that by agreeing to spend some money now (the event is in January), these people will virtually guarantee that it will be 60 degrees that day. 

You can rent portable boilers.  Job sites have it all the time.  The boiler stays outside.  You can get them in oil or gas. Gas is  You use glycol in the heating line hose you have a supply and return. A blower mounts iniside and the hoses force hot water through a coil and the blower pushes the hot air around.