viper2788

In-Hull Transducer Mount

15 posts in this topic

I ordered a Garmin Striker Plus 4CV for my Hobie Revolution 13 and was wondering if I could get the full functionality(clearvu/down imaging) by mounting the transducer inside of the hull. My kayak isnt transducer ready and it would stick out if I mounted it underneath the hull. Does the transducer need to be submerged? If so, can I place it in a container of water inside the hull? Thanks

I cant say for your specific model but my humminbird down imaging absolutely does not work going through the hull. My previous sonar was mounted in my hull with marine goop and it worked flawlessly for several years. I tried 3 times to mount my new DI unit in the hull and it never functioned properly. I tried marine goop, making a "cup" out of closed cell foam filled with water, and finally just holding it down with vasoline while floating in my pool. I gave up and mounted it on the rear between the rudder and hull and it works good and is never in the way. 

7 hours ago, Cfinnely68 said:

mounted it on the rear between the rudder and hull and it works good and is never in the way. 

Please post pics. I have my HB DI transducer mounted in the hull embedded in duct seal, works fine. 

2 mins ago, Cfinnely68 said:

My yak is packed up for winter so this isn't my yak but this is how mine is mounted. 

PB200063.jpg

Thats a brilliant spot! I'd probably raise it an inch or 2 in case you have to pivot the yak on the stem tip whilst on dry land .... no such a convenient solution for the older Hobies. 

Installed a Garmin echomap 54dv last season. Mounted in duct seal. Regular chirp worked well but unfortunately not the clearvu /downvu. Swapped it out for a Lowrance hook 5 (2017 model same as previous years elite) as I have the Lowrance pocket. Although inferior to the Garmin, it works well and I get the downvu scan. 

If I didn't have the Lowrance pocket option I'd consider mounting it directly into the water via ram arm.

4 hours ago, Africaster said:

Thats a brilliant spot! I'd probably raise it an inch or 2 in case you have to pivot the yak on the stem tip whilst on dry land .... no such a convenient solution for the older Hobies. 

I dont know if you can tell on the pic but its mounted with a stainless spring mount from a truck antenna so if you do wack it while moving it around it will flex and not break off. 

1 hour ago, Cfinnely68 said:

I dont know if you can tell on the pic but its mounted with a stainless spring mount from a truck antenna so if you do wack it while moving it around it will flex and not break off. 

Sweet setup. Unfortunately for me, I just checked and theres no room by my rudder on the hobie revo... but looks like in any case I need to find a way to mount the transducer in the water somehow. Paid extra specifically for the down imaging so mounting in hull would defeat the purpose

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

I think I have no problems with the DI on my Hook 4 shooting through the hull. This looks OK to me.

5a25f515d75cc_FFpic.JPG.6fd63f7282149e727bd6b109c76ab843.JPG

Looks great to me. How is yours mounted? I'd love to get results like yours

42 mins ago, gellfex said:

Its the standard duct seal mount. Nothing fancy.

Don't want to mislead OP. Had GT22TM ducer no way downvu would work properly thru hull, it's been discussed on other forums by other owners. 

As an aside don't you have a pelican case /ram post solution? That can probably work well (with or without the case) 

Edited by eddiespaghetti

1 min ago, eddiespaghetti said:

Don't want to mislead OP. Had GT22TM ducer no way downvu would work properly thru hull, it's been discussed on other forums by other owners. 

Not sure what you're saying. I'm no expert, just posting what I see with my gear. Is Garmin Downvu substantially different than Lowrance DI? 

The Garmin transducer is "big" pretty much triple the length of the Lowrance ducer (I have the same ducer as you I believe.) not sure if that's the reason but could not find any way to make it work in hull on my outback. Drop it over the side into clean water,  stunning image! Researched it pretty extensively online and could not come up with a solution outside of an over the side ram mount. 

1 hour ago, eddiespaghetti said:

As an aside don't you have a pelican case /ram post solution? That can probably work well (with or without the case) 

Thanks. Was gonna attempt a temp mount in hull just to experiment... but it seems many have failed with the garmin unit.