Ebay Shenanigans

Rate this topic

viper2788

I purchased an item from an ebay kayak retailer yesterday and they messaged me today saying they made a mistake in the posting and that the price should have been $90 instead of the listed $57. Can they change the terms of sale after purchase? What should I do?

you can file a complaint claim with ebay, for a small amount you mighty win your case.  had an incident  where I won a bid by 200.00 cheaper and ebay let him reverse the transaction. All I can see then was the seller was a big seller.  good luck

Tell them you expect them to honor the sale price or you will file a complaint with ebay. If they are a decent company they will probably honor the price to avoid the bad feedback. If ebay gets involved you probably wont get whatever you ordered anyway, they will refund your money but they cant force the seller to give you the item. 

Edited by Cfinnely68

7 mins ago, Cfinnely68 said:

Tell them you expect them to honor the sale price or you will file a complaint with ebay. If they are a decent company they will probably honor the price to avoid the bad feedback. If ebay gets involved you probably wont get whatever you ordered anyway, they will refund your money but they cant force the seller to give you the item. 

That’s correct, crap happened to me as well,

I have over a thousand transactions on eBay over a decade or so. Contact eBay via their dispute routine. Ask the seller for a full refund and have them cancel the sale (which eBay charges them for). After receiving a refund ... walk away. Leave neutral feedback if you feel like it ... assuming you got the refund.

At eBay as with most all retailers the customer is always right and they generally settle these things in the buyer's favor. Where there's a "mistake" like the one you've described the seller should not "make the sale" ... and refund you promptly for their "bad".

RockfishOn!! :cool:

If I thought it was an honest mistake, I would work with them, and even leave positive feed back if they dealt with me respectfully. 

However, I think some ebayers do this on purpose to get you invested in time. If 1 out of 10 folks just pay the additional money without question, the seller comes out ahead. The sale is cancelled in the other 9 cases with no harm done other than wasting your time. Do some research on past written feedback, not just % positive, or star ratings. I have just cancelled sales and left negative feedback when I suspect this is happening.

I am not sure why folks are so hesitant to give  negative feedback. I have seen 5 star ratings given, then when you read the narrative, the buyer was extremely unsatisfied. This does a disservice to future buyers making decisions on who to buy from. It negates the whole  point of the feedback system.

Years ago I won a bid on ebay for an antique piece of furniture that was pick up only and was local to me. I was the only bidder and won the item for $100.00. Seller messaged me that they meant to have a reserve of $10,000.00 but accidentally only set the reserve at $100.00. I told them do not worry about it mistakes happen and just took the refund. In your case I would contact the seller and try to resolve the situation before getting ebay involved but do it all through ebay messages and be professional. If you do end up using ebay to resolve the situation they have access to your communications. Good luck.

John

Just now, viper2788 said:

I purchased an item from an ebay kayak retailer yesterday and they messaged me today saying they made a mistake in the posting and that the price should have been $90 instead of the listed $57. Can they change the terms of sale after purchase? What should I do?

Check out their feedback and see if they have had any other sales go south. The rest is up to you. There is a big difference in paying 57.00 as opposed to 90.00. I assume you bid on the item because the 57.00 price looked good. Ya gotta get ya money back, pay the difference or open a case. I am also assuming that since the seller contacted you about the price error, that said seller is not gonna honor the 57.00 sale. 

I would just get the money back if ya paid already. If ya didn't pay, than your ahead of the game. 

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

Ebay is a joke ... they let the seller back out of a deal without even a slap on the wrist ... 2x I have won the bid on items and have had the seller tell me they can't sell the item for the price and one came up with the item was stolen ( only to realist the item a couple months later) . Pointing this out to Ebay and PayPal is useless ... they could give a poop less. Negative Feedback unless it is done by several people is useless ... if you really want an item chances are you will take a chance. They should ban these guys for life but in the long run $$$$ talks.

Don't stop ... Retrieving ...

I recently purchased a couple of small items on Ebay. Week and a half goes by and no sign of them. After 2 weeks I get an email saying the order was cancelled by my request. 

If they would've just said they didn't have anymore of the item I probably would've let it go. But to outright lie and say I requested the cancel pissed me off and I gave them negative feedback. Best part it was 2 orders of the same thing but different color, so they got negative X2.

I'll have mine on the rocks.

If this was a mistake by a private seller, I'd let it go easier, despite the frustration. However, they are a retailer (Three Belles Outfitters). This was a flat price on a USED item and not something I bid on. Here's the response I got (read from bottom on up): 

ebay.PNG

Edited by viper2788

I think the circumventing ebay is a scare tactic but have you been in correspondence via ebay's system or through your own email? If its your own, the seller may claim you were trying to circumvent ebay's tos and try to make you out to be the problem here. Since you contacted them via a service outside ebays system they had no choice but to respond to keep good customer service so they should not be held liable.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive.