Drew C.

Tacoma frame issue

94 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Drew C. said:

It seems that I got new brake lines (i never noticed any issue with the old ones). 

It's probable that the integrity of the lines were compromised when the frame was replaced. 

2 hours ago, Bassadana said:

It's probable that the integrity of the lines were compromised when the frame was replaced. 

I assume they’re attached to the frame. Probably not worth it from a labor point to remove and reuse. 

I thought but don't quote me on it . Toyota was responsible for anything that was connected to the frame . Some other guy questioned that i did a t belt on one of these vehicles but in hind sight i was wrong because it had a Frame 

Posted (edited)

If you listen closely you can hear the salt eating away my truck. This is what it looks like this morning after yesterday’s minor snow storm. :eek:

97EA19D1-ACFA-4AD3-B535-4481ACDAA3C8.jpeg

Edited by z-man
Typo

10 hours ago, z-man said:

If you listen closely you can hear the salt eating away my truck. This is what it looks like this morning after yesterday’s minor snow storm. :eek:

97EA19D1-ACFA-4AD3-B535-4481ACDAA3C8.jpeg

You got that mixed up with a Ford . On a quit Summer night you can hear them rusting away . Ford has a fix for it they circled the problem on the grill and put the letters F-O-R-D in it 

6 mins ago, whitey said:

You got that mixed up with a Ford . On a quit Summer night you can hear them rusting away . Ford has a fix for it they circled the problem on the grill and put the letters F-O-R-D in it 

I always thought that was chevy...

No No No . They made Chevys so that we could get rid of Dodges easier over Seas . On your truck Drew if it has a chain it should set a light . Trying to help on the acceleration thought .

Posted (edited)

Not frame related.... I mentioned elsewhere that I had the universals replaced during the summer, I had vibration, shaking and noise. It wasn’t cheap. Two months later Toyota announced a recall for that and instructions on what to do to get reimbursed for previous work performed. Got a check for the full amount today. It took a while but they did the right thing. 

Edited by Drew C.

Just found this thread . . . having a much different experience with Toyota.  My son has an 07 Taco . . . we rec'd the frame warranty extension notice in 2017 and before he was shipped to Alaska brought it in for inspection (NJ).  They told us the rear leaf springs were under a safety recall in addition to the frame issue.  Bottom line, they couldn't get the springs in before we needed to ship the truck and obviously couldn't replace the frame (frame failed inspection).

He's now in Alaska and is trying to get his truck to the dealership in Juneau . . . of course, he is stationed on a island (Sitka) and ferry is the only means to transport and that is several hundred dollars round trip.  In his discussion with the service manager, my son was told it may cost him out of pocket $3-5k depending on what non-related parts needed to be replaced.  I called Toyota Corp direct and essentially was told the same thing.   And, the only way to determine exactly what needs to be done is have the truck taken apart and then make that call.  I said that is ridiculous as it gives us no opportunity to determine if we have the desire or finances to pay.

Toyota is not budging on this.  So, my son is scheduling the truck to have the springs replaced at no cost and have the frame reinspected and possibly give us an idea what it may cost.  BTW, on the extended warranty notice received for the frame this is absolutely no mention of any customer responsibility for cost.   IDK, seems to be a very poor way to handle this situation.  Ironically I am in the market for a truck and will certainly not consider Toyota as an option.

1 hour ago, cartopper said:

Just found this thread . . . having a much different experience with Toyota.  My son has an 07 Taco . . . we rec'd the frame warranty extension notice in 2017 and before he was shipped to Alaska brought it in for inspection (NJ).  They told us the rear leaf springs were under a safety recall in addition to the frame issue.  Bottom line, they couldn't get the springs in before we needed to ship the truck and obviously couldn't replace the frame (frame failed inspection).

He's now in Alaska and is trying to get his truck to the dealership in Juneau . . . of course, he is stationed on a island (Sitka) and ferry is the only means to transport and that is several hundred dollars round trip.  In his discussion with the service manager, my son was told it may cost him out of pocket $3-5k depending on what non-related parts needed to be replaced.  I called Toyota Corp direct and essentially was told the same thing.   And, the only way to determine exactly what needs to be done is have the truck taken apart and then make that call.  I said that is ridiculous as it gives us no opportunity to determine if we have the desire or finances to pay.

Toyota is not budging on this.  So, my son is scheduling the truck to have the springs replaced at no cost and have the frame reinspected and possibly give us an idea what it may cost.  BTW, on the extended warranty notice received for the frame this is absolutely no mention of any customer responsibility for cost.   IDK, seems to be a very poor way to handle this situation.  Ironically I am in the market for a truck and will certainly not consider Toyota as an option.

Don't blame you.....

Damn that's BS, agreed.

My aunt just bought a new 4R SR5, had a 2003 with the rust issue, but they wouldn't do anything for her since it wasn't a Taco~ WTF, same frame.

Essentially why she just bought another, wouldn't pass inspection and only 150k on the clock, brand loyal otherwise though but that's piss poor customer service on both accounts.

Posted (edited)

My experience was good. Toyota said the frame and all other related costs would be covered but there could be items in need of replacement that weren’t covered. That happened with my first one. I didn’t ask specific questions and when I went to pick it up I was handed a bill for shocks and some other items. After some discussion hey waived it but mainly because I was getting a new truck (my current one). This time I asked some specific questions and I was told that I would be called with any issues. I was out of pocket about $1,700 here. But that was for items not related to the frame. I was fine paying it this time. I only had to pay for parts, No labor costs though. 

Edited by Drew C.

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Damn that's BS, agreed.

My aunt just bought a new 4R SR5, had a 2003 with the rust issue, but they wouldn't do anything for her since it wasn't a Taco~ WTF, same frame.

Essentially why she just bought another, wouldn't pass inspection and only 150k on the clock, brand loyal otherwise though but that's piss poor customer service on both accounts.

Was this recently or with the old recall with the gen 1's?  Just asking cause the most recent recall was with the gen 2 tacomas and that isnt the same frame.