Drew C.

Tacoma frame issue

94 posts in this topic

^^^^ Having all that work completed and documented, make for some good resale bait. Just sayin.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:49 AM, Drew C. said:

i immediately noticed a difference in acceleration. i don't drive with a heavy foot but there's a big difference. the seating seems a little smaller. i still need to play with the seats but the steering wheel is a bit closer to my legs. headroom also seems a little less. 

Have you had your timing belt replaced ? I just had a customer in and it seemed like a clogged converter problem . Truck would go good on normal acceleration but it was a Dog on hills . No codes or check engine light on. I pulled the front cover off the cams lined right up with there marks but the Crank was almost a 1/4 turn away from its mark . The thing is like new now 190k the guy never changed it ever ! 

8 mins ago, whitey said:

Have you had your timing belt replaced ? I just had a customer in and it seemed like a clogged converter problem . Truck would go good on normal acceleration but it was a Dog on hills . No codes or check engine light on. I pulled the front cover off the cams lined right up with there marks but the Crank was almost a 1/4 turn away from its mark . The thing is like new now 190k the guy never changed it ever ! 

Tacoma has a timing chain. No belt. 

The one i did said tacoma on the side and had a 3400 motor . It came up as a pre runner on the scanner 

The 2002 V6 is a belt for the timing. I have one that is way past due and is still going strong......

If you want a vehicle that never breaks, check the VIN number and ensure 'J' is the first letter. If it is not, avoid at all costs as it is likely made in US or Mexico.

5 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

If you want a vehicle that never breaks, check the VIN number and ensure 'J' is the first letter. If it is not, avoid at all costs as it is likely made in US or Mexico.

Did you come up with this on your own or are you repeating something you read in a forum?

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Did you come up with this on your own or are you repeating something you read in a forum?

FZJ80, HZJ80, HZJ81, HZJ77, HZJ79, Hilux, 4runner 1st gen - 3rd  gen, GX, have no rust issues, and almost no frame issues. I also have a 4runner and has not a spec of frame rust*, but i do wash it...

The fact is the the tacoma had frame recalls, and the hilux didnt... The two serve similar purposes, one is made not here, and has no issues. My 2cents mate.

*One is also about 55k while other is about 30k, so difference in build quality and materials is justifiable with garbo steel for example.

**Also worth noting that when purchasing US or Mexico products, you are bringing on Risk along with the premium of the car. You rarely bring on any risk with JDM factory made cars since Japan has a higher requirement for build quality index, actually. JDM cars are usually not fit for US roads and US cars are better for US roads and application, but depending on what you want, you may want JDM or US.

For example, if you want to tow 20k lb+, then a HD2.5 Mexican Chevy/Ford truck is the way to go. If you want something that will never break, a JDM import is the best option. There are stuff in between, like a US 4.0L Cherokee that is both cheap and reliable, but nowadays this is rarely the case. 

Edited by hoakge12000

47 mins ago, whitey said:

The one i did said tacoma on the side and had a 3400 motor . It came up as a pre runner on the scanner 

Tacoma's from 2005 and up have timing chains.

My 2003 Tundra (2nd Owner) had the frame replaced in March of 2017.

I was driving on the Long Island Expressway when the spare tire breaks off the carrier. Wasn't able to retrieve it. Thank God it didn't hit anyone. I made an effort to purchase a spare from a flat fixit place and was told that this may be a recall issue. Sure enough. I called Toyota USA which set me up with an inspection. 2 days later I was told that a request was going to be made for full frame replacement as well as parts and components of affected areas. 1 week later the replacement was approved by Toyota USA. Additionally, any recalls that have yet to be performed would be included at no cost. This included control arms, upper and lower ball joints, brake lines, springs, shocks, spare tire carrier and more. The only thing i paid for was a rim and a spare. I was told the frame would take 3 months to arrive. I received that call from my local dealer that my frame was in. Took it over. I didn't need a loaner but could have had one at no cost.

The replacement took 5 days. I was told the job was close to $18,000. Yes. More than what the truck was worth. 

Holy hell. I’m glad I like others like the 100-120-150 series Toyota’s cause if not I’d be really depressed if I had my eye on a Taco or Tundra-

1 hour ago, Cascade said:

^^^^ Having all that work completed and documented, make for some good resale bait. Just sayin.

Maybe but I’m keeping it for 2 more years. At that point it won’t matter all that much. 

Posted (edited)

Depression would be if you were coming out of your pocket for these repairs or if Toyota failed to honor the integrity of their brand in addition to the loyalty of its costumers.

For me the cost on Ebay for a rim was $50.00.  Locally purchased tire was $75.00. I'm way ahead.

Edited by Bassadana

Yeah good point and plus 1 to Toyota, still amazed at the gravity of the issue.

36 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

The fact is the the tacoma had frame recalls, and the hilux didnt...

I don't know who makes the Hilux frame but I do know this, the Hilux is sold in countries where mostly it does not snow. There for the roads are not treated with salt or any other De-icer chemical.  Wouldn't you say it's remotely possible that was the chief reason Hilux does not have the problems?

Here are pictures  of a  2007 Tacoma From Florida. I PM'd the owner of the truck and I asked him if he has a J. I'll post when I hear back from him.

floridatacoma.jpg

floridatacomaII.jpg