Drew C.

Tacoma frame issue

94 posts in this topic

From what I read the 2nd gen frame is a 40hr job per the book.  My frame passed inspection so I had the crc applied last September or so.  It's flaking off now and the frame is rusting all around but doesn't look bad in the hot spots when I looked last.

Wow.  Frame recalls, WTF.  Makes me skeptical on a 4Runner later too now, LandCruiser or Lexus GX460 seems the best option, or a Jeep GC, but I'm hesistant there as the miles stack up~  LRovers are cool, but pricey needy b$%@@#s.

Well the amount of rust issues is disturbing but they are doing more than any other manufacturer would do or has done, that's for sure. If I had one of these, though, I would not let them undercoat it. I would check it every few months and any rust I saw, I'd treat with rust converter and also get the spray that Eastwood sells for internal frame rust proofing. This is where it starts, inside were moisture gets trapped and also at the welds. I think Toyota learned using suppliers is not the same here as it is in Japan where they have much more control over them. I've seen Tacos where the frame looked just fine and on others (saw this the other day) people have used backyard repairs like bolting big sections of steel plate on rusted frame rails above the kick up for the rear wheels....

Frame is in. The truck goes in Friday. It will take about a week. I did have a discussion about ‘additional’ items, they call and let me know if there are non covered items that need replacement.

When all this started I was probably going to get a new vehicle later this year but that has since changed. I will be lookin for at least one more year (if not two) out of this truck so I would probably not be annoyed by any extras. 

Posted (edited)

truck is in the dealership today for the frame. my new ride for the next week or so.

IMG_2661.JPG

Edited by Drew C.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the 3rd Gen vs your 2nd Gen after driving it for the week Drew.

My 2010 checked out fine so they are going to CRC  spray it in the spring. They want the frame clean and to remain somewhat clean before and after until the coating dries fully.

i immediately noticed a difference in acceleration. i don't drive with a heavy foot but there's a big difference. the seating seems a little smaller. i still need to play with the seats but the steering wheel is a bit closer to my legs. headroom also seems a little less. 

One thing about Toyota they do stand behind there products .   When they changed the frame on my 2001 Tocoma they had it for a month and half.  they gave me a replacement truck while they had my truck.  After the work was done the cost was O   My old ford 250 , the frame went,  the leaf springs and hangers, the old pan and the heads were leaking.  I called and spoke with a rep and answered questions for an hour. After an hour on the phone , he said sorry your warrantee is up. Can't do anything for you.  Thats when I got  Toyota Tacoma.

The plow on the ford ,Fisher plow rusted out also. The water got behind the paint and I had big holes in the plow?

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, ccb said:

One thing about Toyota they do stand behind there products .

100% disagree. Sold me a truck with a bad transmission that went at 66 miles. Would not swap the truck out. Strung me a long for 2 months without transportation. They decided they can only rebuild transmission under warranty and not give me a new one. They rebuilt it and it broke after 100 miles again. Finally ordered a new one waited for another 2 weeks. Installed the new one and proceeded to cover my entire interior in gear oil. So the first 6 months of my ownership of my first Toyota I had a nice stench in the car. When I called the service manager out on it, he said "well I am not going to say that never happens". Toyota HQ customer service is nothing but a bunch of lawyers pushing pennies around. If it wasn't for the dealer doing a half ass job which I am still pissed about and not happy with the new transmission I would be in court now suing Toyota Corp.

I have everything documented on video and audio. All the issues in the truck, convos, visits and telephone calls. When I compiled everything and sent it to them, they said they don't see anything wrong with my vehicle at this time while I sent them a video of my transmission get stuck in gear and almost getting rear ended... 

Oh and get used to hearing "can't reproduce the problem" at the dealers. That's another story.

Edited by faithless

Posted (edited)

Sorry about your mishap.  Most people that I know say they do stand behind there products?   They all rust out? My son has a GMC and that rusting out also.   All my Fords didn't last, rust buckets.  and they fell a part around 85 to 90 thousand miles?   My 2001 Tacoma is still running strong with the new frame.  I gave it to one of my sons and its has 325.000 miles on it and starts up with the turn of the key?   I guess you can see why I have to go with them. 

Edited by ccb

4 hours ago, faithless said:

100% disagree. Sold me a truck with a bad transmission that went at 66 miles. Would not swap the truck out. Strung me a long for 2 months without transportation. They decided they can only rebuild transmission under warranty and not give me a new one. They rebuilt it and it broke after 100 miles again. Finally ordered a new one waited for another 2 weeks. Installed the new one and proceeded to cover my entire interior in gear oil. So the first 6 months of my ownership of my first Toyota I had a nice stench in the car. When I called the service manager out on it, he said "well I am not going to say that never happens". Toyota HQ customer service is nothing but a bunch of lawyers pushing pennies around. If it wasn't for the dealer doing a half ass job which I am still pissed about and not happy with the new transmission I would be in court now suing Toyota Corp.

I have everything documented on video and audio. All the issues in the truck, convos, visits and telephone calls. When I compiled everything and sent it to them, they said they don't see anything wrong with my vehicle at this time while I sent them a video of my transmission get stuck in gear and almost getting rear ended... 

Oh and get used to hearing "can't reproduce the problem" at the dealers. That's another story.

That was my experience on a 2005. Seems like you either get a good one or a bad one. 

I heard back from the dealer regarding the 'extra' items. About $1,500 in parts, very little labor involved since its part of the frame replacement. Nothing major, wear & tear stuff. Initially, I would have been annoyed/opposed to it because at the time I was planning on a new truck. I will keep this one for at least one more year, maybe two. It is at ~160k miles, I should be able to get that without major issues. From a financial standpoint I might try and keep it longer as long as its treating me well. I'm on track to have my truck back by Friday hopefully.

Regarding the 2018 Tacoma that I have. I do like it mostly... Acceleration is noticeably better. Ride, maybe a bit better but I'm comparing a brand new vehicle to mine. I will say that the cabin feels a bit more cramped, sight lines are a little different, I feel a little more hunched over it in. I'm not sure what has changed though. The technology has certainly advanced but it is not too complicated. My wife has a new vehicle, way too much crap in it for my liking. The Tacoma seems fairly straight forward.

I got my truck back today. The dealer invoice to Toyota was $11k. I had some things done on my truck while it was there - new rear shocks, new front struts/shocks, axle seals, some other stuff. I liked the loaner but I'm happy to get mine back. At this point as long as it is good to me mechanically I will probably keep it until 2020. At the point it will be 10 years and s/b right around 200k miles.

Interesting stuff Drew. I believe you on the $11k, just kind of shocked at that number. 

In all reality and practicality, I'll probably be keeping mine roughly that long as well. My frame inspection came back good and they're going to CRC spray it come spring time. They don't want me to drive it when there is salt, sand, and all sorts of crap on the roads. Two days for the spray. It doesn't take long, but they want to hold it to let it dry. They also provide a loaner for the two days. 

My bill came to ~$1,650. So that alone is going to make me keep it another 12 months. I will re-evaluate then. Financially, a new truck is not an option this year.

That doesn't mean that I don't want one though...