Drew C.

Tacoma frame issue

158 posts in this topic

It would be extremely simple to solve this problem, galvanize the frames, just like a boat trailer.  I read somewhere where a snowplow company whenever they buy a new truck they strip it down to the frame and send it out to be galvanized.  I think it would be a great selling point as an option for the salt belt, isn't that better than having to fix them after a few years?  

I have often thought the same thing

It would probaly slow down production to much

The work would have to be done in a seperate facility,zinc plating is a nasty process that includes an acid bath which can mess with the chemistry on the high strenght steels, and the heat of the molten zinc can warp welded sheetmetal assemblies.

The dozens of holes punched in the frame, many of them tapped would have to be reworked, the material tends to fill in gaps.

Im also sure that they could engineer a process that would give the frames a lonher life, but they dont think the consumer would pay the added cost, and do they really want your 40 to 70k vehicle to last another 4 to 8 years, that would hurt them.....

13 hours ago, riggler said:

I have often thought the same thing

It would probaly slow down production to much

The work would have to be done in a seperate facility,zinc plating is a nasty process that includes an acid bath which can mess with the chemistry on the high strenght steels, and the heat of the molten zinc can warp welded sheetmetal assemblies.

The dozens of holes punched in the frame, many of them tapped would have to be reworked, the material tends to fill in gaps.

Im also sure that they could engineer a process that would give the frames a longer life, but they dont think the consumer would pay the added cost, and do they really want your 40 to 70k vehicle to last another 4 to 8 years, that would hurt them.....

I would be happy with just a couple coats of quality paint instead of just the primer or whatever the garbage is that they paint it with now. The body of my truck has zero rust. Paint the frames the same way, problem solved. 

Another issue is that a lot of modern frames are modular to save money, instead of building a different frame for each sub model, front middle and rear pieces are made separately and lap joined together for each sub model  which creates a perfect place for water to seep in and rust to form