Drew C.

Tacoma frame issue

94 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I will throw this out there for others...

i have another thread open regarding a recall issue. I stopped and the dealership today to get copies of my paperwork. While I was there the girl at the service desk told me about the frame recall, they can inspect the frame and if there’s an issue with perforation replace the frame. If not, clean and apply an undercoating. She said there haven’t been many issues but they would look. 

Well they looked, new frame is on order.... Probably going to take a month to get the frame in. A week or so for the repair. 

Fwiw, my truck is a 2010. 

Ps - this will be my second taco with a frame replacement. First one was a 2002, that frame was replaced in 2010 with that truck being traded for my current one. 

Edited by Drew C.

I don’t think that I will ever know that. I didn’t the last time thatbit happened. 

Im sure it’s not cheap. 

Posted (edited)

I just saw a 2012 getting the frame replacement.....I'll hold my 17 tacoma for another year and then trade it in for a Silverado or new Ranger.

Edited by The Riddler

I’m up for a new truck soon. I was undecided between a taco and a tundra. This is the second time, certainly annoying but both trucks were great otherwise. No significant issues. 

I will certainly consider other options now tho. 

Posted (edited)

Like you said this isn’t your first rodeo with the frame replacement, but at least they (Dana) are paying Toyota.  If I remember right it’s around $10,000 that the dealer is paid for the replacement.  Which is why when the frame recall first started back in the 2000’s they were buying back some of the trucks and giving 1.5 times the truck value. 

My old 2004 had the frame replaced in 2010 or 2011.  When they did it they asked if I wanted any other work done. Seeing how they would have the whole truck apart they said it would just be the cost of parts or I could bring my own parts no labor.  I had new coilovers put in, the new frame is still going strong with the only rust being on the welds of the frame.  

All in in all it is crazy when you think about it they’re or have replaced frames on Tundras, Tacoma’s and Sequoias.  Now that Dana is no longer making light truck frames you’d think the issue should be fixed but time is the only thing that will tell with these new frames. 

Edited by ne_dan

Glad my 2002 Tacoma started out as a hawaian truck, then was in san diego before coming to the east coast. No frame rot.

i will get under the truck later and look for the hole. the frame overall isn't in bad shape. the dealership said one particular area was tending to be a problem. 

the process is going to take a while i do want to make sure that i don't have to pay for anything else. the last time, they replaced the shocks and some other things like that and tried to charge me for it. the old shocks couldn't be re-used, etc. while i can certainly understand that aspect i certainly wouldn't have replace those items if it wasn't for the frame issue in the first place. the truck is 7.5 years old with ~160k on it. i'm probably getting a new one by next summer so i don't want to put much money into it at this point.

I have to bring my 2010 Taco in as well. I looked at my frame last week and it really doesn't look bad to me. I'm hoping to just go with the under coating. 

As far as I know the 4 Runners are made in Japan, at least the older ones. If your vin begins with J it’s an import from japan and doesn’t have the problem Dana made frames.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:23 PM, ne_dan said:

As far as I know the 4 Runners are made in Japan, at least the older ones. If your vin begins with J it’s an import from japan and doesn’t have the problem Dana made frames.

Thanks.

I would look it up online or give the stealership a call. 

I hvent heard anything back yet. I also still haven’t looked for myself yet as well.