abitskrewd

December 2017 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

707 posts in this topic

Gave it 1 last shot out front CmC 5-630am. Surf was surprisingly a little calmer than yesterday, most of the breakers were off the lip and didn't see anything forming further out. Fished the same area as yesterday and seems like structure changed overnight. Wasn't dragging bottom in same places with lower water today, whatever bars were there are now gone. Still no fish there. Worst fall season for me in past 5 years. 

This ends my run for 2017. Too much going on this week and weekend to do anymore casting and heading south next week. Had a great spring, not many bass but quality fish and more blues than last year. If i didn't have to work probably could have caught 200 more gators, this year was the first time i was able to hook into 15 of them in 1 hour. Summer was not kind to me for any species, flounder numbers were down and weakfish weren't showing. September to November was a bust with constant N and S winds churning the bottom and snappers were making it impossible to throw anything rubber. Peanuts bailed out early and back bay bass were playing it safe. Still enjoyed most of it and didn't lose as many lures. Time to clean and organize everything and countdown until April. 

2017-14lb.jpg

may3blue.jpg

45in.jpg

5-19-17x36in.jpg

6-21-17keeper.jpg

45inch33lb2.jpg

2017fallsunrise.jpg

25 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I will probably put the 1/0 front and back.  what size split rings do you use.   I have some size 5, but I think they may be too big for regular sized Sp.    Don't want it to turn into a sinker. 

I really like the Redfins, but the fish are so small this fall....  I have 2 loaded 7 inch redfins.   10 cc of baby oil.   One of them cracked after a night of banging it on the rocks and started to leak the oil out.   I cleaned it with alcohol and sealed it with a couple layers of Super Glue.   I don't think I lost too much oil, one is 1.4 oz and my smoking joe is now 1.35 oz.   Hope the Super Glue holds up ...   Maybe I can add a thin layer of epoxy....

I use rosco split rings, I believe they are 4h, but could be 3h, which ever one matches the stock.  

Hate to interrupt the hardware discussion, but thought I'd throw in a fishing report.

Slow pick this morning, MoCo. Got out at 5 am and finished at 8:15. Six fish landed, lost several more. Biggest 20". No love on MC55s sand eel, so I switched to a small yellow redfin. That was the ticket, along with the teaser. Water was fairly flat and clear, with some late wave action, but no white water. Fished for awhile with MC55 and ShoreLady1. Both headed off for greener pastures, so I don't know how they made out. Always enjoy good company on the beach and these are two nice people. Hopefully will be able to get out late afternoon.

Real quiet out there for me too this morning.  Had only one little guy while fishing with Nam before I tried a bit to the south.  Not much changed with the move.  Flat crystal clear water and no fish to be found.  No Birds or bait or loons equals no activity.  Maybe later today.

I fished out back yesterday for an hour on the outgoing, then my waders which had a slow leak going for the past few trips finally crossed the event horizon into totally unusable and actually kind of dangerous (+1 to ACY Bass Pro Shops for taking them back after over a year of pretty tough use for store credit). 

So I'm calling it quits for 2017, it was a break out year for me after several seasons of not really being able to shed the training wheels.  I learned to fish bailess, hooked a few spring gator blues, and landed my first 30"+  bass at night.   Looking forward to a productive 2018. 

I'd like to say thanks again for all the advice I've gleaned from this forum, it's been extremely helpful.

2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Hate to interrupt the hardware discussion, but thought I'd throw in a fishing report.

Slow pick this morning, MoCo. Got out at 5 am and finished at 8:15. Six fish landed, lost several more. Biggest 20". No love on MC55s sand eel, so I switched to a small yellow redfin. That was the ticket, along with the teaser. Water was fairly flat and clear, with some late wave action, but no white water. Fished for awhile with MC55 and ShoreLady1. Both headed off for greener pastures, so I don't know how they made out. Always enjoy good company on the beach and these are two nice people. Hopefully will be able to get out late afternoon.

How are you running your redfin?  :)  Fish all night in various locations, black bomber in the new moon zones and chicken scratch in the lit up spots.  Decided to stay for first light and pretty much the same report as you, but smokey joe.  If its fall, first light, the 5" smokey joe redfin is fishable, and no bites, go home. 5cc oil..  3 size 2 4x vmc hooks is my confidence, but its sloppy as hell releasing fish, been dabbling with 1/0 in front 2 in back, and I'm liking the results.

Edit:  I fish these on light drag and honestly when bigger fish are around I stick to the 3 tiny hooks and carry a pack of hooks with me.  I feel like with such tiny hooks you need all you can get, and staying as stock as you can will get you the most bites.  At least that's what I've seen, but its a confidence thing.

Edited by Hammerz

2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

The pastures were not any greener. One double header and called it a day. 

Fished MoCo from 8:15 to 10:45, no fish to be had, no birds or bait seen. First trip out in the NJ surf after 3 long years of grad school in CT and struggling just to take a 20 min trip for largemouth. Excited to get back to my roots and finally figure out how to find the fish in NJ. Thanks to the consistent posters in this thread for inspiring me to give it a shot today. Might have missed it by just a week... 

5 mins ago, surfnfish93 said:

Fished MoCo from 8:15 to 10:45, no fish to be had, no birds or bait seen. First trip out in the NJ surf after 3 long years of grad school in CT and struggling just to take a 20 min trip for largemouth. Excited to get back to my roots and finally figure out how to find the fish in NJ. Thanks to the consistent posters in this thread for inspiring me to give it a shot today. Might have missed it by just a week... 

Not at all if you're not looking for size.  

Went fishing in MoCo from 6.30am to 11.30am on Tuesday...balmy conditions...mid 40 to 50ies...no gloves needed ...caught 16 shorts...up to 20"...80 % on slug-go and 20% on the teaser...most action took place early in the morning...light west wind helped casting distance which was not needed since all the fish was caught right in the wash...the most success I had when casting parallel to the beach along that 2ft drop in the sand where the waves break...otherwise no sign of life...no birds or visible baitfish

PC-Photo Dec 19, 7 14 44 AM.jpg

PC-Photo Dec 19, 10 10 34 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, Hammerz said:

How are you running your redfin?  :)  Fish all night in various locations, black bomber in the new moon zones and chicken scratch in the lit up spots.  Decided to stay for first light and pretty much the same report as you, but smokey joe.  If its fall, first light, the 5" smokey joe redfin is fishable, and no bites, go home. 5cc oil..  3 size 2 4x vmc hooks is my confidence, but its sloppy as hell releasing fish, been dabbling with 1/0 in front 2 in back, and I'm liking the results.

Edit:  I fish these on light drag and honestly when bigger fish are around I stick to the 3 tiny hooks and carry a pack of hooks with me.  I feel like with such tiny hooks you need all you can get, and staying as stock as you can will get you the most bites.  At least that's what I've seen, but its a confidence thing.

It's a stock 5" redfin. Put a VMC O'Shaugnessy Treble 4X Short Shank on the front (after crushing the barbs). On the back I put on a VMC In Line Hook, Wide gap, X strong 1/0. Love having that single hook on the rear and the crushed barbs on the treble make for easier extraction and less damage to the fish. Great little go to lure this time of year, with all the shorts around. Teaser adds to presentation, but majority of landings are on the redfin.