December 2017 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

abitskrewd

Out front today NoMoCo 1230 - 1545. Brought the fly rod and surf rod today and got nothing but a sore wrist/forearm. Fished an SP, bucktail and a paddle tail as well as a few deceiver flies. Water was crystal clear and fairly calm. Only one other guy out earlier with me but he left after an hour or so. Not sure if he hooked up at all. Might go back out and give another shot at NoMoCo or head up to Round Valley and give another shot for some lakers. 

Did the late afternoon into dark thing and found them again, with an assist from Nam.  He found them first and I tagged along.  Finished up the night with 15 including 1 double header.  They went after the teaser and the eel.  Bob, as always, pleasure fishing with you.

MoCo out front at the end of the incoming, got 2 and lost more up until slack. Got out at sunset yesterday with my 6 year old and his new waders (on sale at Cabela's $20) and he got his first striper, even cast and hooked one on his own but couldn't get him on the beach, but got the next one with the assist from Dad. 

I know there's fish out there but where God only knows 

Fished moco from 1400-1800 slow pick up and down the beach. I covered a bit of ground and found a couple here and a couple there. 6 total, three were on the surf candy teaser and three were on 7/8oz. Swim shad. Water was very calm and clean even with the incoming tide. I wish i coulda stayed another hour till slack high but it really slowed down once it got dark. I did get one after sundown and I almost had to break on the tape for it, it would of been a close one... definitely still seems like a daytime bite and some of the bass would hit way out on the drop and sometimes in the wash. No bait, birds or seals observed, only a couple of cormorants on the prowl. Good warm weather the next couple days, I'm gonna Try to make it back out a couple more times

MoCo Yesterday 3 PM to 7:30 PM   shortly after I got out, some of the guys noticed some birds working about 2 jetties over to the south.   Eventually, they came in front of us within range and I was getting hits almost every cast for about 10 minutes.  Then it changed to a slower steady pick.    All of the fish looked to be about 16 inches or so ...  I put on a rigged eel to see if any bigger fish were mixed in.   After about 2 hours with the rigged eel, my shoulder was hurting.    I ended up with 5 shorts, other people that stuck with the smaller lures did much better and were easily in double digits.  

As MC55 mentioned, I did find the fish and we settled into a slow bite until just before dark, when it picked up. What he didn't tell you was that I couldn't buy a solid hookup until right before first loss of light! Couldn't figure it out. Was getting solid hits and several brief hookups, with one bigger short coming out of the water. Did finish up with 4, including one doubleheader, but missed a ton more. MC55 bid goodnight and I stayed for a little longer, only to get a monumental birds nest! Finished up unraveling it at home and restrung. Back at it tomorrow. BTW, have to thank ShoreLady1 for the loan of her headlamp. Mine crapped out as I was trying to unhook one of my bigger shorts. Always an adventure fishing with me!

Outfront in OC this afternoon from 11am-530pm.  Drove around for the first two hours and didn't see anything. Went to the inlet to try for some blackfish and only had a few bite and lost a ton of rigs as the tide was ripping. Switched back over for bass around 2pm as the tide was coming back in. Picked up one right away on a Ava then nothing at the next few holes. Just as the sun started to set, the bass remembered that they were hungry and started to chew. They were only interested in the magdarter and wouldn't touch rubber or teasers.. Ended up with 14 shorts in the 20in-24in over the next 90 mins.  Had to call it quits bc I forgot my headlamp and only had a huge maglight in the truck.  

11 hours ago, AHest.04 said:

MoCo out front at the end of the incoming, got 2 and lost more up until slack. Got out at sunset yesterday with my 6 year old and his new waders (on sale at Cabela's $20) and he got his first striper, even cast and hooked one on his own but couldn't get him on the beach, but got the next one with the assist from Dad. 

What size did you buy for a 6 year old I would like to get them for my kids

Last night, 7:30-9:00. Typical action with shorts on casting egg & teaser. Conditions were perfect, flat calm, unseasonably warm. I kept it simple: 7 foot rod, light line, left the waders and plug bag at home. Walked the beach in deck boots, jeans, pliers in my back pocket, and zip lock with back up leader & teaser in my sweatshirt pocket.  Looking forward to a repeat tonight. 

Made an attempt out front in a spot i haven't fished since spring 5-630am. Pretty flat out there again with clean 3' waves about 40yds out. Slight change in structure as i moved north. Found a nice little hump, but when i hit the drop off it was full of sea weed and that ended the morning. Tomorrows forecast is saying give it another go, and that will probably be it for the year. 

...some nice schools of bigger fish just off-shore moving through. Still nothing to bring them close....cold and wet.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

• Sudsy locked this topic