dixiekraut

Speeding Ticket in Buxton

48 posts in this topic

....he was on his way back to my car with the ticket in hand when he saw me get out of my car. Holiday weekend...out of state driver...theres no way I was leaving town without a ticket.I hope the county puts my $240.00 to good use...I'll consider it my contribution to the welfare of the island.

I read somewhere not to long ago dare county has some of the highest dui arrests. I've been pulled over in Maryland on my way home from obx but never in nc. I'm well aware they drive like maniacs on 12 when nothing but sand dunes on both sides but once into town 25mph it is. And def no passing on the right haha they hate that.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Drumfish420 said:

not I find it very amusing that most every person that's had a "bad," run-in with the police usually did something to start it themselves.  Not always, but a lot of times.  You do not get out of your vehicle during a traffic stop unless instructed to do so, you just don't do it.  It's common sense.  Doesn't matter what your reasoning is.  Look at all the officers that have been killed in the last couple years.  If you were in his shoes and saw you get out of your vehicle what would you do?  Don't even try to answer that, because you don't know.  You think you might, but you don't.  He did the right thing, his training kicked in, and he went on the defensive.  That's what he's supposed to do.  He saw you get out of your vehicle, how was he to know what you were doing?  You could have had a weapon, or became combative, or a million other things.  Again, common sense goes miles here.

What were you supposed to do?  Sit in your car and not be an sweetheart.  Plain and simple.  No matter if you thought the stop was BS, you can bring that to court if you so choose, but right then wasn't that time for anything other than a few "Yes sirs," or "No sirs."  Those guys have the toughest and most thankless job in the world, day in, and day out.  Are there bad cops out there?  Guys that shouldn't be on the job?  Absolutely.  Probably at least one in every city or town.  That doesn't mean that we can be balloon knots towards them.  If you have a legitimate gripe, then show up to your court date and fight it.

I love the classic complaint ...

"I hate cops."

"Why?"

"I got busted(or pulled over, or DUI, or whatever)."

"Did you break the law?"

"Well yeah, but I still hate cops."

Come on man.

And before you ask, I carry a gun for a living.  I work with former police officers, MPs, and service members from every branch.  The training is the same.  Use your head.  I bet if you had sat quietly and politely, and thanked the guy for his service, you probably wouldn't have even gotten a ticket.   

"What were you supposed to do?  Sit in your car and not be an sweetheart.  Plain and simple"

.......Sit in your car and not be an sweetheart".....? Can you translate please. I take it you meant not be an a**hole in your statement.

I was there so I can tell you it WAS  "Yes sirs" and "No sirs." and not being "balloon knots" or an a**hole towards the policeman.

He got out of the vehicle...bad move...that much is established.

The exchange that followed was unnecessary for the policeman to do his job.

I don't carry a gun for a living but I do work with Policeman too,  and a wide range of government officials that enforce the law everyday in my job so I can tell you for a fact some of them are better than others when it comes to dealing with the public.

Edited by Speckhunter

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Speckhunter said:

Hey Dixie...good attitude on the fine. Buxton is a very small town...and if there has been a decline in tourism due to all the environmental/NPS regs...they can use the money,  I'm sure.

That unmarked Dodge Charger probably cost some bucks. LOL

Edited by Speckhunter

10 hours ago, Speckhunter said:

"What were you supposed to do?  Sit in your car and not be an sweetheart.  Plain and simple"

.......Sit in your car and not be an sweetheart".....? Can you translate please. I take it you meant not be an a**hole in your statement.

I was there so I can tell you it WAS  "Yes sirs" and "No sirs." and not being "balloon knots" or an a**hole towards the policeman.

He got out of the vehicle...bad move...that much is established.

The exchange that followed was unnecessary for the policeman to do his job.

I don't carry a gun for a living but I do work with Policeman too,  and a wide range of government officials that enforce the law everyday in my job so I can tell you for a fact some of them are better than others when it comes to dealing with the public.

Post was edited by a mod I guess.  Both weird words were supposed to be a-hole. 

2 hours ago, Drumfish420 said:

Post was edited by a mod I guess.  Both weird words were supposed to be a-hole. 

Well thanks for the perspective.

And keep an eye on those Omega guys in Reedville for us.

On November 28, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Hikes run said:

I thought they raised the speed limits in all the villages during the winter months.....

Absolutely not. 

Oh, and I was down there Thanksgiving week and saw that black Charger. If I don't know how to catch fish there, I definitely know to not to exceed the speed limit, 25 is 25, 35 is 35 and 45 means 45.

Posted (edited)

Update....in today's mail I received no less than 7 letters from attorneys in Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Currituck & Elizabeth City....all claiming that for a small fee starting at $150.00 they could help me navigate my way through the court process and perhaps even have the charge dropped to something less than a moving violation...and prevent the points I may incur on my driving record and insurance. Sounds like  they've got it down to a nifty system. My wife asked me if I waive my right to a court appearance and paid the speeding ticket...why should there be any court costs piled on...I thought that was a good question.

Edited by dixiekraut

Court costs and fines are two different things - last time I had a ticket (near Morehead CIty a good 20 years ago) I was stunned at the court costs (twice as much as the fine and you better have cash to pay) - I've been a real slow driver ever since.  Sorry you got a ticket, it is a pain with the insurance points costing more than the fine/court cost.  I don't think the town gets the fine money in NC, but rather goes to the state and the county.  OH

8 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Update....in today's mail I received no less than 7 letters from attorneys in Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Currituck & Elizabeth City....all claiming that for a small fee starting at $150.00 they could help me navigate my way through the court process and perhaps even have the charge dropped to something less than a moving violation...and prevent the points I may incur on my driving record and insurance. Sounds like  they've got it down to a nifty system. My wife asked me if I waive my right to a court appearance and paid the speeding ticket...why should there be any court costs piled on...I thought that was a good question.

if you pay the fine there shouldn't be any court cost.

My dad was pulled over with me in the car in the same area years ago. I was just reading this and although I’m not from that area I know some cops in certain places that would have pulled out their gun if you stepped out of the car.  It is totally unwarranted but I have been in a few situations in New Jersey where cops have taken it too far. I was once pulled over when I was 18 years old and had a legal folding knife that I used for fishing in a cup holder in the center console and was told to put my hands on the steering wheel while the officer drew his gun. Not to be prejudice but I’m not exactly the type of person who looks like a threat. I have also been assaulted by a state cop in a pullover situation for picking up a friend in what was considered a bad area. I was taken out of my car thrown up against a guard rail and punched in the chest. I assume he thought I was there to buy drugs. Also got a 5 point ticket for following too closely at 2am in the morning with no cars on the road. Any time I see lights I get nervous because I just can’t trust some of these cops. Philadelphia is completely different, the law enforcement is on a completely different level and the guys out here are friendly and do their job. there is many crooked cops out there and many good ones as well. 

Always court costs even if you pay the ticket. Just not as much if you went in front of the judge.

Thanks to all for your input. I received three more letters from attorneys in NC Saturday offering assistance in the legal process for a "small fee"....thats ten now since the incident last Sunday.

Wife jokingly remarked it happened at the end of the month and the officer had to make his quota. I'm still flabbergasted that I could've reached 42 mph in the short distance traveled ...thats why I got out of my car to look back and see how far I had driven....eliciting the cops angry response...but in court it will be his word ....and the radar's ( no matter how calibrated ) against mine...so I  guess I'll just waive the court appearance and pay the hefty fine and court cost. ( Although a trip to Manteo in January to appear before a judge would enable me to try a little casting lures for Specks in the surf around Kitty Hawk/ Nags Head .)

"Although a trip to Manteo in January to appear before a judge would enable me to try a little casting lures for Specks in the surf around Kitty Hawk/ Nags Head"

There had to be a silver lining somewhere!  Sorry about your troubles.