dixiekraut

Speeding Ticket in Buxton

46 posts in this topic

So...many of you who go down to the OBX to fish know about driving through the  towns like Salvo, Rodanthe, Avon and Buxton ....you drive slow. God knows I've read enough posts here warning about dropping your speed to 25 mph, and not passing on the right, etc. Well...yesterday around 10 am I was leaving Red Drum Tackle  after fishing the lighthouse area at dawn to meet my brother over at Conners to get more ice and maybe some breakfast at Orange Blossom...I had just pulled out onto the road and was moving ahead when I looked up at my rear view mirror and saw the dreaded  row of flashing blue lights....so I pull over immediately onto the nearest patch of gravel and open the glove compartment to get my registration out of the glove compartment as the officer approaches on the passenger side. He informs me that I was going 42 in a 25 mph zone, takes my paperwork and instructs me to pull a little further ahead off the road as he checks my license. As I am waiting I'm thinking...I had just barely got onto the highway from the tackle shop and had not driven very far...didnt see how I could have built up that much speed in such a short distance, so I open the door and step out to look behind and see how far I had driven....BAD MOVE. The manner in which the cop started dressing me down for stepping outside the vehicle...you would have thought I was brandishing a firearm.He proceeded to question my motive and admonish me for not being intelligent enough to be aware of how many law enforcement officers die every year in traffic stops....I tried to explain how I was just curious to look back and see how far I had apparently driven to build up sufficient speed to attain 42 mph...I was still wearing my Cabelas boots and even though they aren't the best shoes to drive in I sure as hell wasn't peeling out to get an Apple Ugly at the bakery. Officer proceeded to point to his vehicle...an unmarked muscle car like a Charger and proclaim that he could reach 90 mph in the same distance I had just driven....well...good for him...Im not packing a Hemi in my Toyota RAV 4.....Suffice it to say it was a very nasty experience ...and the fifty dollar fine not including a hundred and ninety dollar court cost was a lousy way to top off what up till that point had been a pretty nice morning. Being a northern Virginia native and driving in and around the DC area you have to remind youreself where you are when down on the island....SLOW DOWN.

sorry to hear that, it seems like aggression and intimidation is the way too many officers deal with the citizens they are supposed to be protecting and serving. They are the private sector  above the  common citizen you have to remember that!

Guess so. I have always treated law enforcement with the utmost courtesy and respect, and can probably count on one hand the number of moving violations I have accumulated in my 46 years of driving...which only reinforces my shock at the attitude this guy was giving me....seemed totally unwarranted for the situation...but maybe that's the way they are being trained nowadays...to get on top of the violator early and with total dominance...probably works to their benefit I guess...but it might elicit a very different response from a motorist who has some issues that I dont. Word of advice my dear old dad used to give me...never get in a pissing contest with a skunk...you'll lose.

We were at at the point the last week of October and got popped for seat belts right after getting air at the Red Drum. He must have been watching is all we can figure.  It's quite a revenue builder at 180 a shot. Law is a law I guess.

Sorry to hear your story.

OBX is unique in this matter.

But as the state Virginia is much worse with state troopers presence.

Virginia and Indiana, although didn’t hear stories about them charging you higher then you have been actually going.

5 - 10 Mph. over limit is o.k almost everywhere but OBX.

Yep, got to be careful they have zero tolerance mantra.

Sounds like you had the same cop my buddy had a run in with a couple summers ago. Now we had just left the Captain's Table on our way back to our house in Brigands Bay in Frisco and about a half mile down the road we suddenly had the undercover car flashing is siren and blue lights coming up on us. He pulls us over and proceeded to tell my buddy we were doing 43 in a 25 zone. Now my buddy tells him that no way he was speeding since the prior year he had received a ticket and he was being very careful not to speed which he was. Then my buddy says to him or is it because we are out of state and he was wearing a little kids pirate hat. So the cop takes all his info and returns with a breathalizer. He tells my buddy if he blows a zero he will let us go. I can't help myself but start laughing inside me knowing that my buddy is a recovered alcoholic, but does get high. My buddy says yea whatever, and the cop looks stunned that he blew a 0 and gives him back his info and quickly exits the scene. Moral of the story, they do target out of state tags cause they know we can't come down to fight it. 

Why would you get out of your vehicle during a traffic stop when the police officer did not ask you to?  Common sense and courtesy go a very long way when you are interacting with a police officer.

dixiekraut,

while i do empathize with your situation (getting pulled over on a fabricated speeding charge (yes, i live in the commonwealth of Virginia so...)) getting out of your vehicle to argue your point is always a poor decision. OBX or no, its just a bad idea.

stay safe all; cant catch em if your locked up or worse!

....as I explained, I got out of the vehicle merely to look back and see how much ground I had covered since leaving the tackle shop and being pulled over....I had no intention of arguing the point....and both my hands were clearly visible...as the officer even admitted after the initial exchange. I did not contest the claimed speed....nor did I raise my voice or act argumentative in any way. The officer may have accurately recorded my speed....but his attitude was totally unwarranted.

6 hours ago, savfish said:

Why would you get out of your vehicle during a traffic stop when the police officer did not ask you to?  Common sense and courtesy go a very long way when you are interacting with a police officer.

Courtesy works both ways don't you think?

Logically....dont you think a motorist standing in plain view by his vehicle with both hands empty and clearly visible presents less of a threat to an approaching officer than a motorist sitting behind the wheel almost totally obscured?

I find it very amusing that most every person that's had a "bad," run-in with the police usually did something to start it themselves.  Not always, but a lot of times.  You do not get out of your vehicle during a traffic stop unless instructed to do so, you just don't do it.  It's common sense.  Doesn't matter what your reasoning is.  Look at all the officers that have been killed in the last couple years.  If you were in his shoes and saw you get out of your vehicle what would you do?  Don't even try to answer that, because you don't know.  You think you might, but you don't.  He did the right thing, his training kicked in, and he went on the defensive.  That's what he's supposed to do.  He saw you get out of your vehicle, how was he to know what you were doing?  You could have had a weapon, or became combative, or a million other things.  Again, common sense goes miles here.

What were you supposed to do?  Sit in your car and not be an sweetheart.  Plain and simple.  No matter if you thought the stop was BS, you can bring that to court if you so choose, but right then wasn't that time for anything other than a few "Yes sirs," or "No sirs."  Those guys have the toughest and most thankless job in the world, day in, and day out.  Are there bad cops out there?  Guys that shouldn't be on the job?  Absolutely.  Probably at least one in every city or town.  That doesn't mean that we can be balloon knots towards them.  If you have a legitimate gripe, then show up to your court date and fight it.

I love the classic complaint ...

"I hate cops."

"Why?"

"I got busted(or pulled over, or DUI, or whatever)."

"Did you break the law?"

"Well yeah, but I still hate cops."

Come on man.

And before you ask, I carry a gun for a living.  I work with former police officers, MPs, and service members from every branch.  The training is the same.  Use your head.  I bet if you had sat quietly and politely, and thanked the guy for his service, you probably wouldn't have even gotten a ticket.