Sea bass jigging question

Rate this topic

Sir fisher guy

I saw you catch that fluke lol. I was the guy casting a fin-s on a jighead at the back. I got bit off by a bluefish, but no striper like I was hoping.

I checked the other reports that day, and while everyone reported slower than expected fishing, other boats caught some fish. High hook on the Jamaica 2 was 7 sea bass plus a cod I believe. Big Mohawk had limit catches. 

The lesson learned for me is the smaller the boat the better when it comes to inshore bottom fishing. Also I’ll be positioning myself somewhere between the stern and midship on the next inshore bottomfishing trip. I might finally give the Big Mohawk a go for the next trip out...  

@Sir fisher guy I saw the slower reports as well but think you’re right about the larger boat. My thought was that the oher boats would be jam packed  but in hindsight I guess a few twisted lines is better than an empty cooler. I was about mid ship and it wasn’t much better.

I have a 6pk trip lined up for 5/26, feel like I’m in the hole 0-2 already and need to limit haha

I paid 78$ for 6a to 4p. I picked the Big Jamaica because they limited the trip and they have nice wide aisles along the rail and plenty of seating. As much as I like the capt and crew of the Jamaica 2, they don’t have enough seating in the cabin.

The “limit” for the trip ended up being 60, and when they were down to two spots like 5 days before the trip, I was afraid I’d get stuck on a smaller boat with even more people. It turned out the conditions were meh, and the other boats weren’t as crowded as they could have been.

it’s ok, that’s why it’s fishing not catching, blah blah blah. I’ll try to learn from my mistakes, because when you get right down to it, it was my decisions that caused my bait to land where it did....

On 5/18/2018 at 9:13 AM, Sir fisher guy said:

I paid 78$ for 6a to 4p. I picked the Big Jamaica because they limited the trip and they have nice wide aisles along the rail and plenty of seating. As much as I like the capt and crew of the Jamaica 2, they don’t have enough seating in the cabin.

The “limit” for the trip ended up being 60, and when they were down to two spots like 5 days before the trip, I was afraid I’d get stuck on a smaller boat with even more people. It turned out the conditions were meh, and the other boats weren’t as crowded as they could have been.

it’s ok, that’s why it’s fishing not catching, blah blah blah. I’ll try to learn from my mistakes, because when you get right down to it, it was my decisions that caused my bait to land where it did....

Sir fisher guy look familiar :) 30 inch haddock

P5210040.JPG

48 mins ago, Sir fisher guy said:

KSong,

I’ve been told that August is a good time for sea bass in Massachusetts. When is the best time in your opinion?

Big seabass moved into Cape Cod Sound/Marsha's Vineyard Sound already.

They are in pretty shallow now and they go a little deeper soon. 

This is the best time to locate them though sizes are not big. They move out to deeper water and are scattered.

It is time to jig seabass until fall. 

Edited by ksong

Fished eastern  Buzzard Bay I. Ma today.

Surprisingly Sea bass are   big in 2 - 5 oz range. I don't think I caught any sea  bass under 2 lb. today.

6'8"  Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod/ IRT 300 reel with Al Gg lures were used.

20180601_104849.jpg

20180601_104519.jpg

20180601_102211.jpg

19 hours ago, Sir fisher guy said:

KSong,

I’ve been told that August is a good time for sea bass in Massachusetts. When is the best time in your opinion?

Codfish,

what were you fishing for? Seabass? Cod? Stripers? Haddock? Halibut? Lol. You fishing in Massachusetts?

I fish starting with haddock next sea bass then stripe bass finally tuna, Halibut is 1 a year codfish are closed, commercial Haddock Tuesday 600 lbs  Wed 1000:)