Steve in Mass

REAL PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rate this topic

748 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, cdsleeve said:

I thought "Pizza" was Italian for pie

I do work for a guy that has had a Pizza shop since the 50's

You are probably right. I figured round like "pie".

On 11/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, Fly By Nite said:

Fresh mozz isn't great in the home oven.  Too much liquid makes the crust soggy.  Lucerne makes a low moisture whole milk  mozz that works well in my oven.  Or galbani is pretty good, too.  I don't shred, cut up into sticks is the Neo way.

yeah, that is definitely ture, i go sparingly and haven't had too much trouble with the soggies. good tips on those items, about all i see is bellagiosa or something like that. i've had good results with just thin slices, but i'm trying to make the whole process faster and have been experimenting just going with a quick chop lately. mixed so far.

23 hours ago, Tom T said:

I will cut the fresh mozz and let it drain in a colander/sieve all day to help with that.

also a good tip, thanks :howdy:

i need to talk to my chef buddy about his neopolitan dough recipe and hydration. getting too done on top, and not done enough on the bottom, but also to crispy/cracker like on the bottom at the same time :huh: 

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, rocco said:

yeah, that is definitely ture, i go sparingly and haven't had too much trouble with the soggies. good tips on those items, about all i see is bellagiosa or something like that. i've had good results with just thin slices, but i'm trying to make the whole process faster and have been experimenting just going with a quick chop lately. mixed so far.

also a good tip, thanks :howdy:

i need to talk to my chef buddy about his neopolitan dough recipe and hydration. getting too done on top, and not done enough on the bottom, but also to crispy/cracker like on the bottom at the same time :huh: 

What are you cooking on and where in the oven?   Try using your bottom shelf or two.  And if you don't have a dough joe, check it out.

20 hours ago, JaseB said:

What are you cooking on and where in the oven?   Try using your bottom shelf or two.  And if you don't have a dough joe, check it out.

i'm on a stone on the bottom rack. i'm not spending that much on a steel, and it sounds like that's better for ny style, and i'm trying for neo.

i have had success with a different recipe, but i was pre-cooking the dough to get everything to come out in sync. i've got to talk to my buddy that gave me the recipe and makes pizza ovens.

While lots of folks put the stone on the bottom rack to be closer to the heat source, the upper rack is the hottest part of the oven. It will just take longer for the stone to come to temperature, but once it does, it will be marginally hotter than on the bottom rack.

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

While lots of folks put the stone on the bottom rack to be closer to the heat source, the upper rack is the hottest part of the oven. It will just take longer for the stone to come to temperature, but once it does, it will be marginally hotter than on the bottom rack.

I disagree Sim.  I want my crust cooked well and not torch the toppings.  This is best done on the bottom or middle rack.

Me too, but the top racks are hotter.  I bake low and whack it with the broiler.  Actually I usually go right to broil when I put it in.  Big heavy stone takes an hour preheat