No tax deduction on alimony payments

Rate this topic

GeoffT

7 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

So as it sits right now alimony payments are tax deductible?  Why the **** am I still married?  

yeah, who knew right ?

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

12 mins ago, GeoffT said:

No, she was at least part-time.  

Yeah, I think the fact the kids are grown and out of the house, it was the impetus for the divorce.   We should have divorced a long time ago.   It sucks but better late than never.

it's another chance to fall in love for you. My grand pappy was dating 50 year olds when he was 80. Doing the nasty and everything. 

1 hour ago, Aquacide said:

ha. good luck on getting your ex's attorney to agree on reducing your payments due to loss of tax credit. :dismay:

fiscally this is a disincentive to ever get married.

prenups are worthless too unless your spouse to be attests that they got independent legal counsel prior to signing and even then, in most states your earnings and gifts received during the marriage are community property.

as you can guess, this hits the Red States harder.

I just found out recently that contested divorces still take up five years if you miss hearings, fail to show up on time etc.

that's  how you avoid five years of Alimony, lol

Not in my state. It just postpones the misery.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Ce n'est pas le mur derrière lequel il se passe quelque chose, mais bien la cuisinière dans laquelle on a brûlé quelque chose

1 hour ago, GeoffT said:

Not a chance in hell.    I'm ok though.  I look forward to having more freedom and less BS in my life.

Having been through divorce before, a few thoughts:

-Why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it.

-For guys, why is marriage like a hurricane? Because in the beginning there's a lot of sucking and blowing, but when it's over, you lose your house!

In all seriousness, you only go around once in life. Do what you need to do to be happy. I was in a miserable marriage for years and finally said "Fork this". If I had known what it would cost to get her out of my life, I would have doubled the offer and said, "If I give you this money today, will you be out of my house by tomorrow?".

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

Well the separation lasted 3 years. The clock didn't start ticking until after I moved out. The judge was a man hating bull **** and hammered me bad because I didn't turn over my phone records. I didn't feel that the contact info for the ladies I was dating should be turned over to the opposing attorneys.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Ce n'est pas le mur derrière lequel il se passe quelque chose, mais bien la cuisinière dans laquelle on a brûlé quelque chose

5 mins ago, jmlandru said:

Well the separation lasted 3 years. The clock didn't start ticking until after I moved out. The judge was a man hating bull **** and hammered me bad because I didn't turn over my phone records. I didn't feel that the contact info for the ladies I was dating should be turned over to the opposing attorneys.

So, you traded records for phone records? Seems fair.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.