Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carbon12

Snake Oil

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

With the exceptions of Cal's or Daiwa 555 drag washer grease, whenever I order a tub of reel lube, I can't help but feel I am being foolish.   I've got marine wheel bearing grease in the garage which I suspect is very similar stuff at substantial less cost. I always say that the next reel that needs fresh lube, I will use bearing grease, but I never have.

For those that have used marine wheel bearing grease in your non-sealed SW reels, what results have you had?

I used and still use plenty of marine rated bearing grease. Yamaha Marine grease and Inox grease are my two main greases. I still use Penn grease in some of their smaller reels. Another grease I use is “Real Grease” I found online. It has a 000 rating and is thin. Perfect for some applications. 

In the small Shimano spinners I’m using the Real Grease. It doesn’t change color when wet like most all other greases. Less is more in these reels.

Today I ordered some Shimano Premium grease to try. Its expensive and will only be used in premium reels.

If they sold Real Butter grease in 1lb tube for $20.00 I would buy that too.