patabate

Scum Line

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Got a slip this season after decades of trailering. Hauled the boat out yesterday and discovered a 2" brown scum line on the port side. Tried a Mr. Clean pad and elbow grease and had limited success. Also tried On and Off which is an acid based product and that was also removing the bottom paint. Is there any product or method that works well that won't damage the bottom paint ? Thanks.

I've used all that stuff......the best I have found is Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner....works great....put it on along your stain line with a rag or paper towel...wait ten minutes then hose off....repeat as necessary......and yes if you rub it on to your paint, the paint will come off....it's why I apply it along the line by hand with rubber gloves....also, all this stuff is corrosive to metal / trailers.....rinse thoroughly with fresh water hose.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

FSR Fiberglass Stain Remover. Cut with water in handheld spray bottle. Shake it up as FSR is a gel. Spray on, hose off. I keep a bottle on the boat all season and touch up waterline whenever I notice the brown building up, as well as after hauling for the season. Still want to rinse off of trailer as well.

I use the soap scum stuff they sell for cleaning showers, let it sit on for 5 minutes and it comes off pretty good. Not the most environmentally friendly approach though...

Star Bright hull cleaner works well.  After reading the label I noticed it contained oxalic acid.  We use to use oxalic acid to bleach wood.  A box of the powder costs about $6.00 at a good paint store.  Experiments are yet to come but I'll keep you posted.

12 hours ago, nightfighter said:

FSR Fiberglass Stain Remover. Cut with water in handheld spray bottle. Shake it up as FSR is a gel. Spray on, hose off. I keep a bottle on the boat all season and touch up waterline whenever I notice the brown building up, as well as after hauling for the season. Still want to rinse off of trailer as well.

Unless you’re wearing a full face respirator you shouldn’t be spraying a product like FSR. It’s atomizing and you’re breathing it in... Safer to simply wipe it on with a rag or sponge. 

All those products work...they are basically acids.

Best bang for the buck:  A gallon of acid from Homies in the paint aisle.  Used on basement cinder block prior to painting.  $7, lifetime supply for any stains that accumulate on your ride.  Done.

I've used most of the above....gell or liquid easiest to paint on with a cheap chip brush then hose off.

Edited by makorider

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner with very limited results, let it soak for 15 minutes. Think my boat was offended that i would use a toilet product on her. Wound up using Marykate Off and On, did a complete scum removal. It's and acid based product. Taped up the bottom paint, covered up the trailer and had no collateral damage. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:02 AM, Seadogg said:

Unless you’re wearing a full face respirator you shouldn’t be spraying a product like FSR. It’s atomizing and you’re breathing it in... Safer to simply wipe it on with a rag or sponge. 

I am not breathing it. It comes out of the bottle as liquid. Heck of a lot safer than using Mary Kay. And a lot easier.

I've always used MaryKate with great results. However, I did see a video posted by a fellow boater who sprayed this stuff on with great results. I've never heard of it, not sure it would take off more then staining (growth, black gunk) but thought to share. He simply was spraying it on and you could see the orange/ haze dissapearing before your eyes even before hosing off with water. 

IMG_0773.PNG