CoffeeGrinder57

Navionics accuracy on land

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I want to buy Navionics app for my android and fish some new spots from the beach that require some hiking. Will it be able to show me my exact location on shore or is it only made for navigating on water? If it does work on land, how accurate is it? Thanks!

I think it depends on the accuracy of the initial data. Several times I've been out and noticed the depth in navionics was far deeper or shallower than it gives, when compared the sounder at the time. I think you should use it in order to see relief, areas where depth is changing suddenly- the numbers may not be accurate but the structure will be there.

I'm interested in this too. Often I'm scouting new areas, and I'd like to be able to walk the shoreline to where there's a drop-off or other structure and cast to it. Being able to see your position accurately on the map would be critical at night as you can't see rips or wave action as well. It would also be great to be able to drop a pin or mark a spot every time you catch.

2 hours ago, meccalli said:

I think it depends on the accuracy of the initial data. Several times I've been out and noticed the depth in navionics was far deeper or shallower than it gives, when compared the sounder at the time. I think you should use it in order to see relief, areas where depth is changing suddenly- the numbers may not be accurate but the structure will be there.

Where; 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 50 yards away? 

How accurate is it?

It's worth the 10 bucks, I find it to be really accurate, makes no difference if you are on land or water.  It was nice this summer for find deeper edges where the fluke hang out next to the beaches and points.  I fish from a kayak without an FF and it helps a lot.

It’s also useful on shore if you see some structure at low tide you can mark it on the map and come back at high tide and know exactly where the structure is 

On 11/14/2017 at 7:32 AM, CoffeeGrinder57 said:

Will it be able to show me my exact location on shore or is it only made for navigating on water? If it does work on land, how accurate is it? Thanks!

I use Navionics at Quabbin and Wachusett reservoirs in MA. When I'm fishing from shore at Wachusett, the app is very accurate in locating me on the trails or the shoreline.

I'm really impressed with how accurate the depth charts are for Quabbin. I'll compare the app to my fish finder and it's 100% accurate. Thanks to the app, I've found a lot of ledges, drop offs, underwater points, etc that I didn't know about at the Q. 

The water levels at Quabbin are a moving target because the water depth changes from year to year depending on how much rain and snow has fallen and much water is drained off because of demand. However, the location of the structure is 100% accurate.

Edited by zak-striper

Well I know it’s not application and 100 something bucks maybe to much for that but I am using Garmin Etrex handheld.

Will do everything you ask for, necessary on ice.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:17 AM, Lou T said:

Where; 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 50 yards away? 

How accurate is it?

If you are just using the app on your phone, your location will only be as accurate as the GPS on your phone. Having said that. I use it whenever I'm fishing. whether I'm in my kayak or on the beech.

1 hour ago, JohnnyOneEye said:

If you are just using the app on your phone, your location will only be as accurate as the GPS on your phone. Having said that. I use it whenever I'm fishing. whether I'm in my kayak or on the beech.

Thank you for the information.

Lou

On 11/14/2017 at 9:57 AM, meccalli said:

Location might be difficult unless there's a significant road or something close to the spot. On the webapp, you aren't getting the gps coordinates.

Not so. Put the crosshair on your location and by pressing the ? mark the GPS coordinates appear at the top of the screen. Comparing the coordinates to Google earth they are accurate to at least 10' +-