The BuzzardsBayBruin

The * OFFICIAL * Bragging Board

158 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That looks like a 50lb rainbow, I need to catch one of those!

Looks like that sport fish will out drag a bottom feeding trash fish :stick:..............:laugh:

10 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That bass is a pig!

Do you normally fish cats? Or did that flathead get you turned on to them?

Up until this year I have never really fished for catfish.  While fishing on the Susky with my kayak I saw some guys catch some big flathead and I managed to get two that day in the course of smallmouth fishing.  Neither were huge, around 30", and they were caught on jigs with trailers.  

When I saw those guys pull in a flathead that was 42" we made plans and came back the following couple weeks with our larger kayaks.  We were fishing one specific area so we didn't need to be concerned with rocks.  We also bought bait coolers and were using blue gills for bait.  We still didn't get any big flatheads, all topped out about 30" but we did get some big blue cats.  I got the 19# and my buddy got a 25# the same day.

We will make a couple catfish trips next year.  It's hard to stay away from the opportunity to catch a fish that may be 50". 

This is the one my buddy got that was 25#.

DSCF1050-L.jpg 

20 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

Looks like that sport fish will out drag a bottom feeding trash fish :stick:..............:laugh:

Well, salmon are SW fish, I would hope they could give a good account of themselves vs most FW fish.

BTW, you ever catch a 50lb FW fish here in North America?

11 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Well, salmon are SW fish, 

BTW, you ever catch a 50lb FW fish here in North America?

Once they swim into freshwater. Its a freshwater fish imo........:laugh:

Sadly. Ive never caught any fish over 50lbs fresh or salt... :cry:

On 11/22/2017 at 6:20 PM, vce12342000 said:

Once they swim into freshwater. Its a freshwater fish imo........:laugh:

Sadly. Ive never caught any fish over 50lbs fresh or salt... :cry:

What makes a sport fish a sport fish? Fighting power? Challenge of drawing the bite? The fish's intellegence? Size?

When you do catch a good flathead or blue, or even if you catch a smaller one on your light tackle, get back to me and we will see where you stand on their value as a sport fish and you can tell me which fish would pull which fish backward.  :howdy:

If you like a challenge, chasing them with lures should be right up your alley.;) You can get back to me on this one as well if you can manage to nail down a consistant pattern and presentation, very select few guys I know have ever become that good. Catching a fish that is only bested by carp as far as intellence is concerned on artificial lures, purposely and consistantly, requires a lot more work then catching fish of the same family as ciscoes (I say this based on my experiance chasing big cutthroats from the midwest down to picking off dink native brookies from Appalachian mountain streams).

Catching cutthroats is fun though, you should try it some time if you get the chance, they are quite aggressive.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 11/22/2017 at 7:32 AM, willf650 said:

Up until this year I have never really fished for catfish.  While fishing on the Susky with my kayak I saw some guys catch some big flathead and I managed to get two that day in the course of smallmouth fishing.  Neither were huge, around 30", and they were caught on jigs with trailers.  

When I saw those guys pull in a flathead that was 42" we made plans and came back the following couple weeks with our larger kayaks.  We were fishing one specific area so we didn't need to be concerned with rocks.  We also bought bait coolers and were using blue gills for bait.  We still didn't get any big flatheads, all topped out about 30" but we did get some big blue cats.  I got the 19# and my buddy got a 25# the same day.

We will make a couple catfish trips next year.  It's hard to stay away from the opportunity to catch a fish that may be 50". 

This is the one my buddy got that was 25#.

DSCF1050-L.jpg 

Chasing the whiskered beasts is a blast. I just got a kayak this past summer and I will be putting a lot of time on the kayak next year chasing flatheads. Fighting them from an up and down position on a katak is so much fun, you get to truly experiance their diving power that way.

What kind of rods and reels are you using to catch the cats from the kayak?

I don't have any especially large/impressive catches this year....But I have three neat tidbits that were pretty cool (pics for the latter two)

1) an all fly, all bass slam that includes two freshwater and one anadromous species: smallmouth, largemouth and striper (small schoolie)

2) More carp on the fly 

3) PB largemouth on the fly - however, to be honest, it's a lot smaller than my PB any tackle largemouth. Thus while it's a nice fish, it's not going to match some of the beasts posted in this thread

carp 2017.jpg

WT 6-14.jpg

8 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

What makes a sport fish a sport fish? Fighting power? Challenge of drawing the bite? The fish's intellegence? Size?

When you do catch a good flathead or blue, or even if you catch a smaller one on your light tackle, get back to me and we will see where you stand on their value as a sport fish and you can tell me which fish would pull which fish backward.  :howdy:

If you like a challenge, chasing them with lures should be right up your alley.;) You can get back to me on this one as well if you can manage to nail down a consistant pattern and presentation, very select few guys I know have ever become that good. Catching a fish that is only bested by carp as far as intellence is concerned on artificial lures, purposely and consistantly, requires a lot more work then catching fish of the same family as ciscoes (I say this based on my experiance chasing big cutthroats from the midwest down to picking off dink native brookies from Appalachian mountain streams).

Catching cutthroats is fun though, you should try it some time if you get the chance, they are quite aggressive.

Imo freshwater sport fish would be bass,pickerel,pike,muskie,trout,& walleye. 

Caught carp when I was a kid. It was the most powerful fish imo. AKA submarines 

Caught a few smaller catfish on a few spinners. That really :eek: me as I would have never thought they swam fast enough to catch to catch them. I :hooked:a 4 lb catfish 1 time on a ultralite set up on a jig. :box:him for about 15 minutes back and forth. Seemed like for eternity. I was working with 4lb mono @ the time. Was very breath taking to finally see what it was.

Cutthroats are on my bucket list as I heard they really :box:good

29 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

Imo freshwater sport fish would be bass,pickerel,pike,muskie,trout,& walleye. 

Caught carp when I was a kid. It was the most powerful fish imo. AKA submarines 

Caught a few smaller catfish on a few spinners. That really :eek: me as I would have never thought they swam fast enough to catch to catch them. I :hooked:a 4 lb catfish 1 time on a ultralite set up on a jig. :box:him for about 15 minutes back and forth. Seemed like for eternity. I was working with 4lb mono @ the time. Was very breath taking to finally see what it was.

Cutthroats are on my bucket list as I heard they really :box:good

Hybrid stripper,,,,,pound for pound 3x a rainbow:)