Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stormy monday

New Toy, new challenges

51 posts in this topic

Got a free wave ski today (surf kayak). A Walden Milo, pics to follow condition well worth the price (lol). A few challenges - a good bit of oilcanning as it sat under a deck for years. Plan is to first try a heat lamp/heat gun, followed if needed by filling with boiling water. Doesn't have to be perfect, my Boogie had it too and I never noticed. It has 2 fins because the center fin box has one screw with a stripped head so the cover never came off. So there are 2 issues there; getting it off/out and finding a fin since these have not been made in a while. Inserts are 5" on center which does match a Strike fin - Ross can you measure the total length of your fin base? I would have to modify it, flatten it, which is always not fun with $50 fins but it looks to be about 3.5" which is what I like. I have several fins from old surf Kayaks, Mega and True Aims, but they require a standard longboard box. I did install these in my Boogie and in believe it or not a Necky Jive and they didn't sink, but cutting into a plastic hull is kind of an act of desperation. Anyone familiar with any new fin designs for surfboard or wakeboards that might have a small profile? I might be able to mod up a longboard box to fit the slot, which would be better than cutting...

All that said it's off to the surf this weekend by hook or crook and in anticipation after 2 years I tried on my dry top. Boy did that suck. I don't remember getting fat, it's a size Large but something happened. I can get it on and my beer selled gut will probably seal it all b itself but a change is in order. Anyone wear a winter wetsuit and if so how's the warmth? I saw a cheap O'Neil Heat 6/5/4 someone is parting with cheap that would fit. Also anyone know anything about Camaro 2 pc winter wetsuits? Thanks!

jc

ski.thumb.jpg.b060b6a096a7604f413267397805a928.jpg

Edited by stormy monday

Google "surf kayak fins". there are actually quite a few still available. Contact the place that sells them - they are very knowledgeable. I will measure mine when I get a chance.

Once the water or air temp drops below 50, I switch to a dry suit. The surfers are out all winter in wetsuits, but no thanks.  

Checked around but don't really like what's there for the Milo, so I took a longboard fin that has a similar shaped base to the Strike fin, applied jigsaw and various files, and came out with a general shape. However the base is not 5" on center, so I'll have to install some type of anchor into the fin box. Then I might use the West System plastic epoxy to solidify it all if necessary, although that would make me screwed if I broke the fin so we'll see. Filled it with boiling water and got rid of some of the oil can effect today. Hope to surf it Sunday

The fin on my Cobra is pretty indestructable. I bought a spare when I first got the boat, and never needed it. And believe me, I've beat the hell out of it. I will take some good pics and measurements later. Don't do anything that is too pemanent. .

Thanks Ross -just what I needed to see! So I have several 3.5" - 5" fins from my old surf kayak, but the boxes don't line up at all. I took one of the old beaters to experiment;

IMG_20171114_211750525.thumb.jpg.db693b7ffc41180067cec4acf4ce7997.jpg

Plan to trim bottom and cut away the black part....;

IMG_20171114_214922498.thumb.jpg.4067dff36e15ec5ee8fd076e066940f0.jpg

Still have shaping and clean up to do obviously, next part is to figure out installation. The front screw will match up fine with the Milo as is, but the base is 1/2" too short so I need to do something for the rear screw. I bored a hole where I did the rear cutout, my thought is I'll install an E-Z Lock thermoplastic press insert into the hull where I want the new mount to go, then use a hex head screw to fasten the fin since the way the cut is I can't fit a screwdriver in there. The other option is to use a well nut, but I've read mixed reviews on how much abuse a well nut can take and like you my fins get some abuse! If all goes well I'll then have my buddies int he machine shop duplicate the mod on all the other fins I have laying around and that should last me a good long time. This fin is 3.5" which will match up well wit the standard 2.5" thrusters on the Milo. It's 1/2" smaller than I used on my Island Waveski but I'm older now and probably will be more judicious wrt what size waves I'll be heading out into in the future so should be fine...

Oh I definitely can, but I'd have to get one. I figure I have a whole bag of these other fins, might as well use them! But thinking of it that would save me the drilling involved in the insert. Going to measure a bit more when I get home from work, might be worth the money and delivery to get one...

35 mins ago, kross57 said:

Can't you shape the Cobra fin? 

Actualy loking at the pic the Cobra fin may be a lot easier than what I was thinking. Do you use the 3" or the 5" in the center?

3 mins ago, stormy monday said:

Actualy loking at the pic the Cobra fin may be a lot easier than what I was thinking. Do you use the 3" or the 5" in the center?

There is only one fin on the Strike. I use the 3".  The 5" is more for really big waves, and we don't typically get those on the east coast.  The 3" works great, at least on the Strike.

1 min ago, kross57 said:

They make the Cobra fin in 3" and 5" so you could choose. I would not drill any holes in a kayak hull below the waterline, at least if I could help it. 

Yeah drilling is always the most stressful part, measure 400 times cut once! The fin I was going to use is 4", I think I'm going to order a 5" strike fin, which is a little bigger than what I usually use, but if it's too much I can reshape it with my dremel. Much lower impact than drilling as you say. Sometimes I'm a maniac when I get in the boat modification mode!

3 mins ago, stormy monday said:

Yeah drilling is always the most stressful part, measure 400 times cut once! The fin I was going to use is 4", I think I'm going to order a 5" strike fin, which is a little bigger than what I usually use, but if it's too much I can reshape it with my dremel. Much lower impact than drilling as you say. Sometimes I'm a maniac when I get in the boat modification mode!

Yup - easier to make the 5" smaller than make the 3" bigger.