patarpon120

Friday 11/17

14 posts in this topic

If you're hitting the Raritan Bay Area I may be in but it seems like the bay has been dead; I haven't seen much bait in the water or much bird activity; I keep reading positive reports but I don't see it just little guys hit and miss 

I guess we all have our own definition of horrible, but 20 mph falling to 10 only at 4pm doesn't sound like fun to me. I'm probably going out tomorrow in NY Harbor.

forecast.JPG.eac3cfc382e995ec20c8a0bf5221ec06.JPG

I'm seeing alot of variation in the wind forecast at this point. Wait and see kind of game this early in the week. If the wind blows, I'll be leaving the kayak on the rack and surf casting/jetty jumping.

I am taking off Friday and will be fishing but not in winds like that. I fished the bay yesterday morning and caught the skunk. Now, that was just one small spot in a very large bay.

This wind sucks. I bailed on today, it was blowing 13-15 all day. Felt like a wimp, but wind, wet and cold is a bad combo even in a drysuit. It looks like wind for a whole week.

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

Although I was tempted today, NJ tog limit rises tomorrow. I'm going to find some sheltered togging ground and hope they're still around.

I'd have to agree with you and that might be my play as well.

Oh well, it sucked. Got one 17" keeper and landed 2 others in a spot I easily could have limited 2 weeks ago. Dropped 2 also, clearly my hooksets need work.  Nasty whitecaps even in a relatively sheltered area, it was really blowing.  This opening the season after the fish move offshore really sucks, whose idea was this? I'd rather have 3 starting in October like NY than 6 after they're gone and only the offshore boats can get them.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Oh well, it sucked. Got one 17" keeper and landed 2 others in a spot I easily could have limited 2 weeks ago. Dropped 2 also, clearly my hooksets need work.  Nasty whitecaps even in a relatively sheltered area, it was really blowing.  This opening the season after the fish move offshore really sucks, whose idea was this? I'd rather have 3 starting in October like NY than 6 after they're gone and only the offshore boats can get them.

Agree with that.  When do they move back in?

9 mins ago, EricJ said:

Agree with that.  When do they move back in?

Not a clue. I don't think they're inshore when the 1 bag season opens in July.