seadogface

Paradise Papers

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on the very very wealthy hiding their wealth? Are you OK with carrying these folks tax burdens with what you make? Just wondering 

Trying to get at the loot of the zillionaires is like the boy with his finger in the dike: plug one hole, and another one pops up almost immediately. 

Didja know that in the last 10-15 years, there's been an enormous run-up in the high-end art market? The values of paintings by artists like Picasso, Pollock, Van Gogh, and the guy who did dogs playing poker have exploded, especially at the top end: earlier this year, a painting called "Bauergarten," by a fella nmaed Gustav Klimt (my grandfather used to see him around the poolrooms in South Philly, trying to hustle Willie Mosconi) sold for nearly 60  million clams -- and Klimt is strictly a JV artist, not up there, in terms of value, with the big boys like Vinnie V.G. and Jack the Dripper. 

Do ya know why these paintings are our selling for so much? It's because the ultra-wealthy, like Russian oil oligarchs and are own Eebs, have grown worried that the political climate, globally, has grown confiscatory: that's right, these humps are worried that the dirties are gonna show up with pitchforks, rouse rabble, and take all their loot. So they're putting a lotta jack into art, which is a lot harder to take, via taxes, than more liquid assets like like cash or stocks are (it's also ridiculously easy to move across borders, making it a hard target for taxation). 

It's an example of why you're chasing your tail trying to tax these jet-setting jamokes: they are sharper than the gub'mint dopes, and you're never going to be able to get at all that money, really. But they do make a good rhetorical target. 

Well then ponder this:

Why should Bill Gates pay more taxes than Billybob?

Does he consume more gov't services than Billybob?

Why should you even pay more because you make more?

The veal parm is $15 no matter how much you make.

4 mins ago, Billybob said:

Well then ponder this:

Why should Bill Gates pay more taxes than Billybob?

Does he consume more gov't services than Billybob?

Why should you even pay more because you make more?

The veal parm is $15 no matter how much you make.

Yes he does consume more government services. Roads, fire, police, water, etc things we all need but on a much bigger scale.

I'm just being theoretical, The price of admission should be the same for all in a perfect setup, of course, that's not practical and I would settle for a flat rate.

How does Bill Gates need more roads and fire than me, and ya pay for the water you use, ya dope.

I'm not sure why this is suddenly surprising to anyone; I thought this type of tax avoidance behavior among the super wealthy was common knowledge.

I view it in a similar light to Snowden leaks, fake news, & Russian hacking- it has been going on for a long time and anyone with a clue has been well aware.

7 mins ago, Billybob said:

I'm just being theoretical, The price of admission should be the same for all in a perfect setup, of course, that's not practical and I would settle for a flat rate.

How does Bill Gates need more roads and fire than me, and ya pay for the water you use, ya dope.

Because his facilities and others rarely take into account the added burden of government services on the local community after it is built, thus your taxes go up.

Edited by riverrunner

9 mins ago, Billybob said:

there is a forum for this nonsense,

you humps.

4 mins ago, riverrunner said:

Because his facilities and others rarely take into account the added burden of government services on the local community after it is built, thus your taxes go up.

Nonsense, businesses are taxed, in fact communities seek businesses - look what's going on with Amazon.

Where the hell do you live?

1 min ago, riverrunner said:

Ya might pay for the water you use but who pays for upgrades to the facilities to accommodate a larger scale. You do ya dope.

Nonsense water dept upgrades are funded by the water dept budget.  

4 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

there is a forum for this nonsense,

you humps.

Do you have a thread

Just now, Billybob said:

Nonsense, businesses are taxed

Not in this case as the company is just a "shell" hidden in another country and/or registered in another country very similar to large shipping companies registering their vessels in say Panama to avoid taxes. 

3 mins ago, seadogface said:

Not in this case as the company is just a "shell" hidden in another country and/or registered in another country very similar to large shipping companies registering their vessels in say Panama to avoid taxes. 

Really well then explain the added burden of government services 

Edited by Billybob