cec127

ODM or CTS - Opinions Welcome

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Need some help deciding.... I am thinking about building a rod in the near future. I have the blank narrowed down between a 10' ODM genesis 3/4-4oz (moderate -moderate fast) or a CTS VT 1-3oz (moderate fast- moderate fast). I hear really good things about both blanks. Some tackle shop guys I was talking to said to stay away from CTS and the CTS is almost double in price. I have held the ODM blank and really like it but the CTS is considerably more compact at the butt and lighter. I haven't been able to get my hands on a CTS to see how I would like it (if anyone in North NJ has one and would like to meet up... I won't be mad). I know when picking a rod it is all about preference. I was wondering what your opinion is on the matter. Has anyone held both rods and if so which one did you like better?

I currently have a 9' TFO which is more a fast action. Looking to build something a bit more moderate.

I have the 10’ ODM genesis and absolutely love it. Its a lightweight rod, Not sure id be interested in anything lighter. Mines paired with a vsx250 and i normally throw 3/4 ounce bucktails to 2 3/8 oz super strikes on a reg day fishing and the rod performs awesome.

I have both the 9ft and 10ft Genesis, and they are absolutely perfect. Moderate action, lots of backbone, and very nicely balanced. The 9ft has been my primary lately. It can throw 2.7 ounce pencils a mile and still muscles fish in with ease. Using it makes me never want to pick up a TFO, Mojo, Star, etc. ever again.

I have both the odm genesis 3/4-4 and cts vt 1-3 in 10’. 

They are both nice rods from a performance standpoint. For me, the cts is by far my favorite rod (it might see the most use tho). I would get another in a heartbeat. 

I have both the 10' genesis and vt. The vt kinda tops out about 2.5oz, the genesis will handle the heavier weight range better. I wrapped both the rods and the ODM weights 12.3oz and the VT comes in at only 8.6oz. Open beaches I love the VT and anywhere I might have to lift a fish I take the ODM. They are two really different rods.

12 mins ago, reelfire said:

Why leave Blackhole out of the mix?

Why did you leave out StCorix, Lamiglas, Loomis, Century, FSC?

Edited by levari

2 mins ago, levari said:

Why did you leave out StCorix, Lamiglas, Loomis, Century, FSC?

Sad this thread got twisted and hopefully we can get back to CEC’s original question!

Just now, Drew C. said:

Because the op asked about cts and odm, that’s probably why...

That was exactly my point in a different format..The question was directed to reelfire, not the op.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

I believe there is a shop in Pt. Pleasant NJ that carries both of the rods you are interested in. 

Do you know which one? I called a few couldn't find one that carries CTS.