Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dansmith

Question about chokes

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Shot my first rounds of trap this morning. I got my shotgun a few months ago for CHEAP. It's a mossberg 500 with a 28" field barrel, and it came with a choke in it that says ".665- leadshot only". I fired several rounds of steel and brass shot through it before I saw the "lead shot only" 

on it. I went to cabelas here in ma and on the advice from the cabelas guy got an Improved Cylinder choke. When I went this morning a few of the old timers at the trap range said the IC was no good, that I should get a modified or full choke. I did fine, shot a 15 and 16 on my first two rounds.

My questions: should I bother with the new choke? Should I have a set for different situations? 

What does .665 mean? Is this like a full choke? I can't find much information other than it's designed for turkeys. 

Is the leadshot only choke safe to use with brass and steel? My inclination is no, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to, as I put several rounds through before I noticed the warning. 

Edited by Dansmith

I don't know what the 665 stands for but an educated guess would say it's a full choke. Steel shot should never be shot through a full choke and that's why I'm guessing it says lead shot only. Skeet shooting is done with open chokes like skeet or improved cylinder choking. Trap is shot with tighter choked barrels like modified or full choke. The reason for tighter choked barrels in trap shooting is because the birds are broken at farther distances. If you use a more open choke barrel trap shooting you're just handicapping yourself.

If your current choke is intended for turkeys, it's a full.  Not sure what the .665 means.  My initial reaction was that it chokes down to 0.665", but that's very, very tight.  An unchoked 12 gauge is 0.729", and a full is around 0.035" less--about 0.695"--so 0.665 is probably too small-diameter for even an extra-tight turkey choke.

As far as the right choke for trap goes, you want a modified.  If you're just starting out, you'll be shooting from the frontmost positions, not from one of the handicap spots farther back, and at that distance, you don't need a full. 

25 years ago it was simple 12ga was nominal .729 diameter. Many guns are now sold "backbored" to a larger diameter like .735 or .740 to achieve better patterns. You should find out what model of barrel you have so you purchase the corresponding choke tubes. FWIW, the .665 tube sounds like a x-full or turkey special.

I agree, Modified is plenty choke for 16y trap.

:v:

i got a 1100 with a full barrel(no choke) i use for trap.....i used to shoot a 870 with a mod choke , i ave 18 birds out of 25 i don't shoot enough lol someone like me who gets behind the bird sometimes probably should use a mod choke bigger pattern. the better you are the full will put more lead in a smaller patern....i hated when they went to the 1000/inch on the chokes my brother got a kit from remington that says duck/ geese i asked him what size are they he said i don't know lol