Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Assist hooks on big jigs.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I just found some knife jigs, a recent jig fad, down in my cellar.  (There's a lot of junk down there.) They have no hooks.   

Is there a rule of thumb for how long an assist hook's snell should be, for a given length of jig?  About half the jig's length might be right.  I have sea bass, stripers, tuna and cod in mind. 

1/3 for speed jigging.

if long jigs like nagamasa's can put 2 assist hooks, 1 on tail and 1 on nose make sure they are short so as not to tangle.

hooks needs to be bigger than the widest part of the jig so hook dont snag into jig body.

Thank you.  I do have a good reel for speed jigging, a new Saltiga 35H, but the fish in question don't really need speed as much as a nice flutter.  So, I'll have to rig up a jig and see what happens. "Nagamasa" is a new name to me, I'll have to look that up.

The hardest hook problem now is a one pound Vi-Ke.  I'm going to need a package of monstrous split rings on that one. 

for flutter jigs your best bet is a short leaf like jig, asynchronous on the sides.

fclabo, sea falcon, sea floor control, beats, reals plate jerker, basically all the slow pith jigs.

Nagamasa is a kind of long jigs. You don't need long jigs to fish here.

You can put assist hook on top of a jig or at the bottom of jigs. I prefer to use one big hook for tuna or cod.

Thank you.  I'll have to see what I have, by way of short flutter jigs.  Some diamond jigs are made with a compressed cross-section, they should flutter nicely.