Domer98

Penn 113H and Wire Line

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Looking to put some wire line on my Penn 113H for trolling Stripers. Can I spool the reel with wire when the spool is made from machined and anodized aluminum and not have to worry about corrosion. Or do I need to purchase a brass spool?  Thanks. 

If it helps, I just pulled 150yds of wire line off a Penn jigmaster 500 that had been on there easily for 30 years.  No negative effects to the spool from what I can tell.  I also have a 113H and the spools seem to be made of the same material so I would imagine you'd be ok.

If you are fishing stainless wire, you should really have the brass spool to avoid electrolysis. If you are fishing monel (nickle alloy) you probably won't end up with corrosion. However, there is a chance it could scrape up the spool. I personally have never fished wire on aluminum but I know some people do it. 

300 feet or either 40lb or 50lb monel backed with 80lb dacron is how I do mine.  

Thanks guys. I am a newbie and looking to troll with Tony Maja bunker spools hoping to land some bigger Stripers.  After the research done it appears as though wire or money are the two options. Good luck. 

Both are wire, just two different types. The monel is more expensive but it's soft. The stainless is cheap but it has memory. Stainless also kinks like a bastard. Personally, I only fish monel now. Make sure you always wear gloves when fishing wire.