DoorGunner

Don't give up.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Guys around here seem to think whatever striper run we were going to have won't happen because of this cold snap. Today will be a good example. Water temp dropped especially in the shallow water where it cools off faster. No wind today so anglers will be out, some trying to get one more trip in before the family yells, stop for the holidays. Just guessing but probably not many fish will be caught but they haven't left. Cold blooded critters can take a wide range of water temps but fishing is the best when the rise or fall in temps is gradual, This cold hit them as hard as it hit us. 70 degrees one day then 22 the next and we never had a chance to adjust. Even worse for cold blooded fish. Now the temps will be back to normal and after a few days the fish will adjust and get back to their normal activity of eating everything in sight.   

Give it a few days for the deep and shallow waters to mix it up and the sun to warm it up and the fish should start making us happy again. Actually I think this cold snap could do us a favor. I have been under my friends dock lights at night and the stripers have been there in good numbers. Only problem is that the bait hasn't moved in under those lights. Usually there are two tremendous bait balls under each light and the stripers crash them constantly. Up till now there were a just a few bait fish and sometimes only one at a time. You know your screwed when you are one and twenty stripers are looking at you. A friend of mine was out plugging the other day just as the tide started out. He slammed the stripers (shorts) and he told me that the amount of bait where he was at was unbelievable. He was fishing at one of the narrow tiday creeks that run under the Parkway here in South Jersey. The water has stayed warm for so long that the bait haven't moved out of those narrow shallow waters like they would have during normal water temp years. This cold snap should put those bait fish on the move since those waters will cool of the fastest. I'll be hitting the right tide cycle this week and hopefully I will see what I didn't see two weeks ago. Large bait balls attracting lots of stripers. Will take my camera with me and post weather my thinking was right or wrong. Bottom line is don't give up. Still should be some decent fishing ahead of us as long as the water temps don't go crazy on us.     

It happens every year. But still those that can't catch will say it's too warm. 

Methinks stripers have have a slightly higher water temperature tolerance than the masses agree on.  It's a shame the newbs read this on here then believe it. I wish they would just go fish and form their own opinions but that's just not today's world...

4 mins ago, Gully said:

It happens every year. But still those that can't catch will say it's too warm. 

Methinks stripers have have a slightly higher water temperature tolerance than the masses agree on.  It's a shame the newbs read this on here then believe it. I wish they would just go fish and form their own opinions but that's just not today's world...

Are you fishing by boat or land? South Jersey has been slow off land. Is it because of the warmth? I have no idea. I've gotten into fall blitzes with shorts and t-shirt which is probably an exaggeration but you get my point. I think the drastic changes in temps are affecting the bite. But boats are still doing well, what gives!?!?!?

4 mins ago, Gully said:

I don't do blitzes. And rarely day fish. Boat, beach and back bay. The bay being the most fished 

When I think of the fall run I think of day fishing, seeing a tornado of birds and running a mile down the beach regretting wearing a jacket(500yards max for me or I'm walking) Lately I'm tip toeing around at night looking for those few decent fish..feels like spring, except 20 degrees. I have more fish this fall than last at this point but the best days have yet to come. I'm optimistic it's going to bust wide open. Thanksgiving last year was pretty good. 

Tip toeing around in the dark is just more my cup of tea vs 50,000 peanut snags flying past your head.

unless I find an uncrowded piece of beach to fly fish in the daylight. Which is rare. Probably why I'm a boarder line horrific fly caster. 

My friend went plugging again yesterday and had another good trip under the Parkway creeks. He did notice a lack of bait fish from he other day so if I'm correct I should see some big bait balls under the lights on Tuesday. He also said the water temp was down to 48 where he fished.