The BuzzardsBayBruin

2017 Smelt Thread

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Winter is not to far off. Now that the bass are working their way home it’s almost time to talk smelt! 

Anyone been off the docks/piers? 

Im hoping for ice on the kenebec early this year. The family is itching to go for their first time 

:)

They can be had in Maine harbors this time of year but I usually just wait for ice. I would not be surprised if commercial sold smelts are being hand dipped in zone 3, they are thick and easy to dip in some locations.

2 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Is it getting cold up there yet? 

Nope, no ice on the Kennebec yet.  Just passed Worthington's yesterday and no ice at all.  Rain along the coast tonight, no consistent below freezing temps for the next week.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, Sea Of Atlas said:

They can be had in Maine harbors this time of year but I usually just wait for ice. I would not be surprised if commercial sold smelts are being hand dipped in zone 3, they are thick and easy to dip in some locations.

That legal to do?

Hey- oldtime SOL member here- been away for about eight years. Hoping to get my 10-year-old son hooked on smelt this winter. If there's anyone willing to help my son and I get started with smelt fishing, I'd love to hear from you. Hope everyone is doing well!

On 1/3/2018 at 3:04 PM, FarmerJeff said:

Hey- oldtime SOL member here- been away for about eight years. Hoping to get my 10-year-old son hooked on smelt this winter. If there's anyone willing to help my son and I get started with smelt fishing, I'd love to hear from you. Hope everyone is doing well!

Not sure if you need tips on techniques but here is what I like to do. This applies to ice fishing for smelt. 

ROD: I use jig rods with spring bobbers /sensitive tips to detect bites. Don’t have to break the bank on these rods but I find the spring bobbers to be a key ingredient. 

RIG: Cut a GLOW sabiki rig in half or so, a full sabiki rig is too long to reel into the shack and tangles too easy. Use a jig on the bottom, I like a heavy Hali Jig in glow with a chain. 

BAIT: Use the sea worms they give you and cut the tiniest piece to bait each hook. 

DEPTH: I bring my ice fishing flasher to check the depth smelts are holding. Otherwise vary the rods at different depths and then adjust to that depth.

It’s easy to lose the smelt when they bite they will swim off the hook, when I notice them bite I try to react quickly and reel/yank em right into the shack. Rinse and repeat. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, FarmerJeff said:

Nice to see you once again Jeff; Enjoy the smelt fishing.