biggstriper

The case for getting a 270 Rifle?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Recommend no.  If/IF you are hard-over, go with the .260 or the 6.5 creedmore.   BC's on these rounds are stoopid!!

.270 has had it's day.  But, I'd be interested in hearing some serious shooters chime in.  

I have a two good sniper rifles in 308/7.62; a good 5.56; a good riot gun in 12 Gauge and a metric crap-ton of pistols.  They keep me pretty busy.  Shooting is a highly perishable skill.  

17 hours ago, biggstriper said:

Should I bother filling the gap between my .223 and my .30 caliber rifles? Pros and cons, anyone?

I agree with  JimP's recommendation of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Edited by lichum

My buddy picked up a 6.5 Creedmore and it is a sweet gun but you aren't going to go to the local store and pick up ammo.  Even the Cabelas near us seldom has more than two boxes of any brand in stock.  He doesn't reload and he regrets buying it due to not being able to get ammo other than mail order and its expense. 

What will be the main purpose? Hunting? 

Budget, what type of guns do you prefer, bolt, pump or semi auto. 

Wood or synthetic stock. 

Jack O'Connor killed everything with a 270. And that was in the 60/70s. Today's bullets and powders are much much better. 

9 hours ago, willf650 said:

My buddy picked up a 6.5 Creedmore and it is a sweet gun but you aren't going to go to the local store and pick up ammo.  Even the Cabelas near us seldom has more than two boxes of any brand in stock.  He doesn't reload and he regrets buying it due to not being able to get ammo other than mail order and its expense. 

I kinda am interested in the 6.5 Creedmore but they're kinda "spendy".

I could/would reload my ammo BTW.

8 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

What will be the main purpose? Hunting? 

Budget, what type of guns do you prefer, bolt, pump or semi auto. 

Wood or synthetic stock. 

Jack O'Connor killed everything with a 270. And that was in the 60/70s. Today's bullets and powders are much much better. 

Yeah, I'm interested in the Remington 873 in .270. Comes with a scope.

Nothing wrong with a .270.  If you have 30 cal big game rifles it is kind of redundant. For my money you get more bang for your buck upgrading optics and buying ammo to practice with than buying a craptastic rifle. YMMV

:v:

Edited by gadwall8

270 Winchester is a classic rifle cartridge. It is in the same class as the 30-06, 280 Remington, 7x64 Breneke, 6.5x270/06. It does have a benefit that ammo is more available. Very easy cartridge to hand load.

If you find a rifle you like go for it.

Should be an easy find in the used rifle racks if you care to shop around. You never know what turns up.

Some of the new wonder cartridges have a trait to fade away in short time making factory ammo and/or brass hard to find.

IMO a 270 or a 308 will almost never be the wrong decision for a general big game round.  

Besting the 270 as an all-round compromise cartirdge is a tall order indeed, and if possible its not going to be by a heck of a lot.  

IMO, I have shot .308 for many years.  Gamestopper on deer.  So is the .270.

You cannot go wrong with either.  

If you get into the .270 use 130 gr. bullets.  No need for the heavier recoil of the 150 especially for deer.

Reloading the .270 is easy.  Great bullets from Sierra and Barnes.  Been using Barnes lately.

Been using Barnes factory loaded 150 gr. in .308 for a while.  Nasty accurate in my Sako A-7.

Ditch the toys and shoot a classic rifle caliber.   NEVER FAILS.

I have found that it's not what you need but what you want. If you want a .270 you should get one. It's a fantastic rifle that's been around for a very long time and has accounted for an awful lot of game.