OnTheFish

Van stall versus IRT Innovative Reel Technologies

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a sealed reel I thought I had settled on the vsx150 then I came across this company I like the fact they are a USA company and built here also. I saw the other thread on them they claim to be a sealed reel. Unfortunately I only have money to buy one reel so I want to make the right decision anyone have experience with the irt reel or shoul I go with the Van Staal what you all think thanks guys here is a link to their site     https://innovativereeltechnologies.com/

10 hours ago, csec12 said:

Never heard of these... but I am intrigued. Anyone have any experience with them?

YES , i have , these reels are still in the R+D stage so to speak, still getting the bugs out so to speak, but YES, these reels are Made In the USA....

Talk to Kilsong on here. He  sells them and knows everyone involved. Hes punisbed them on Tuna with Blackhole rods.

Dont discount the Penn Slammer in your choice either. My two have performed flawless this season.

Honestly I'm surprised there's even a conversation on this. Not saying anything bad about IRT as I am intrigued also. BUT you are comparing a reel/reel company with a proven track record in the surf and boat to a reel/reel company barely on a year if somewhat over. 

This comment alone says plenty. I have a US built VS which is over a decade old, heavily abused and spent much of its life underwater and reeled underwater a good deal of it as well. Don't have a Chinese VS but I have witnessed and heard the same positive things about these reels also.

When time passes and you hear and read the same of IRT is when you can make a fair comparison. Reading about a rod mfg's intro and use (boat usage) when nearly off the bat the reel had issues and was shelved and sent back before the reel had any history is what we know so far (along with some limited surf use). Still in testing fase and proving itself in surf and on boat is how I view IRT at the moment.

It's your money, make sure it's money well spent.

Posts not going through as intended. Will try later when this stupid tablet and I get some sleep.

Informative post to other users out there, DO NOT BUY AN AMAZON (KINDLE) or (GOOGLE) smart device product. I can give you too many reasons why, but the first one or two will give you more than enough to think twice.

4 hours ago, In The Surf said:

Honestly I'm surprised there's even a conversation on this. Not saying anything bad about IRT as I am intrigued also. BUT you are comparing a reel/reel company with a proven track record in the surf and boat to a reel/reel company barely on a year if somewhat over. 

This comment alone says plenty. I have a US built VS which is over a decade old, heavily abused and spent much of its life underwater and reeled underwater a good deal of it as well. Don't have a Chinese VS but I have witnessed and heard the same positive things about these reels also.

When time passes and you hear and read the same of IRT is when you can make a fair comparison. Reading about a rod mfg's intro and use (boat usage) when nearly off the bat the reel had issues and was shelved and sent back before the reel had any history is what we know so far (along with some limited surf use). Still in testing fase and proving itself in surf and on boat is how I view IRT at the moment.

It's your money, make sure it's money well spent.

That is what I was thinking I just wanted to weigh all my options my gut tells me to go with the van stall because of the track record maybe in a few years when I’m ready for another reel the IRT will have more real time experience to look at. Money is hard to come by and want to spend it wisely. Unless IRT wants to send me one to try I think I’m going to go with the VS

I had thought that IRT was aiming for the luxe offshore market dominated by Stellas and Saltigas.  Is this supposed to be one of those super-dunkable reels?  .....  I'm happy to cheer for anyone tryingt o manufacture product here, be it IRT, ZB or anyone else, but it's not something I need.

Like Black Hole USA rods, no matter how good the reels/rods they are, they have to be accepted by anglers. It takes time. 

In my subjective opinion, I haven't tested the heavy model like 600 - 800 sizes enough to give my opinion. 

But I used 300 - 500 almost twice a week for a whole year and I still use them without any maintenance at all.

I don't dunk the reel in the water, but I get lots of spray on the boat and I just wash them. 

It looks the reels durable as any reel survived one year with me is a good reel. :) 

On 11/14/2017 at 8:15 PM, ksong said:

Like Black Hole USA rods, no matter how good the reels/rods they are, they have to be accepted by anglers. It takes time. 

In my subjective opinion, I haven't tested the heavy model like 600 - 800 sizes enough to give my opinion. 

But I used 300 - 500 almost twice a week for a whole year and I still use them without any maintenance at all.

I don't dunk the reel in the water, but I get lots of spray on the boat and I just wash them. 

It looks the reels durable as any reel survived one year with me is a good reel. :) 

But are the IRT reels dunkable?

In another thread I asked if the IRT can handle being underwater and exposed to sand, the answer was no. My VanStaal is continuosly underwater when I'm using my rod as a walking stick when walking on rocks, not many reels can do that for 12yrs. plus and still perform as they did from day one.