bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 11-11-2017

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Happy Veteran's Day to all my fellow vets.

Today was going to be  a shorter outing because of other plans for the afternoon and evening.

The temps last night dropped and the wind was kicked up a notch and that made things more comfortable this morning. I was on the water just a little after 6 am and there was already one person who beat me, my friend Rene.

Rene to me is the best Snook fly fisher on the island and has taught me more than anyone else. The bait was still around and the Ladyfish were as well although not in the numbers as they were yesterday.  The big ones were still around and that was better than the little one that bleed a lot and poop all over you. 

Rene was the first on the board with a nice Snook about 26 inches and it was a nice healthy fat fish.

I did not get any Snook today, but I did pick up a three nice Trout. These were two of the better ones.

P1090333sol.JPG.1c6a582ddb7dbc9306b494cdd2317eda.JPG

P1090336sol.JPG.0913a646e454165841d1993d3f8a755c.JPG

I was surprised to see them because there were not very many around the last two months. The only other action I had was a couple of small jacks. 

This area has been action central of late and the other area that has had Snook today was void of bait and Snook. Rene and I decided that tomorrow will be the same area at first light as today. Not sure how bad the wind will be. 

3 hours ago, nedakjohn said:

DIck-

How much blind casting do you do?  Or are you only site casting to bait/evidence of fish such as busting bait?

Thanks.

Much of the time I am blind casting areas that has well known definite structure. There are other areas that I will blind cast and work and move slowly and at the same time keeping an eye open for sight fishing chances. Sometimes the blind cast will connect and then you can just stand in one spot and do very well. Snook busting bait works in two ways the Snook are cruising looking for bait or they are sitting and waiting for bait to come to them. The cruising Snook are the best chance of getting a hit. Single fish I think offer better chances if the are moving or not. A moving pod is also good. A sitting pod is the hardest to get a fish to hit.

23 hours ago, Matt Szwagulinski said:

What fish are around mid August? May head up there next summer.

There would be plenty of Snook on the beach and the water should be clear. There should also be some Tarpon cruising the beach. As far as the Snook go, they will be in spawn mode so eating is not there first priority, especially the females. If you can take the heat it could be a very good trip to make

Ok thanks so much. I know it is hard to tell now but what lures/baits should I use? I'm not a fly fisherman.

5 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

There would be plenty of Snook on the beach and the water should be clear. There should also be some Tarpon cruising the beach. As far as the Snook go, they will be in spawn mode so eating is not there first priority, especially the females. If you can take the heat it could be a very good trip to make

I have a friend who fly fishes a lot and he does very well. When I doesn't use the fly rod he uses his spinning rod and has it rigged with 10 lb power pro and then uses a 20 pound flouro  bite tippet. The only thing he throws is a small white bucktail jig and he hammers fish, I think he uses 3/8 or 1/2 oz.

Ok thank you so much. Do you think a 8ft 1/2-3 oz would be overkill? Sorry to keep bothering you.

6 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

I have a friend who fly fishes a lot and he does very well. When I doesn't use the fly rod he uses his spinning rod and has it rigged with 10 lb power pro and then uses a 20 pound flouro  bite tippet. The only thing he throws is a small white bucktail jig and he hammers fish, I think he uses 3/8 or 1/2 oz.

No, I think that is a perfect rod to use, if it can throw 1/2 oz it is not overkill.. I will tell you this much, this is how my friend fishes them, the reason I think he does so well is the 10 lb power pro, it sets on the water very lightly and does not spook they fish. He throws out past the fish and brings it back with a small quick jigging action. The thing with Snook is it is a lot of it is blind casting and you have to fish it all the way back to the beach until it comes up over the edge, many are caught very close. If you have nevr caught one, they hit hard and bolt very quickly, they drag should be set just a tad on the stiff side. Good Luck

I had to find this picture, this a guy I met on the beach in the Spring who had not done much and we talked a bit and I asked him if he had any white jigs and he did and I suggested he try one. It worked. This was at Bowmans Beach. He had his hands full with that small rod, it was a little light , he even admitted that after the fact.

P1080351sol.JPG.8ee20709b2e735840e2c9e4df7f6772b.JPG