Beastly Backlash

I Miss Summer

24 posts in this topic

Fishing for walleye and musky, though fun and enjoyable, just doesn't compare to fishing during the sweltering heat of those Summer dog days for catties.

 

I am in withdrawal from catfish fishing right now as my biggest rods hang despairing on my living room rod rack waiting for water temps to rise back up to 60*F next Spring. :( 

 

 

PA's plan to potentially stock blue cats up to the Three Rivers merge can not come soon enough, I will be happy then as blue cats feed actively into water temps in the mid 30's F. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 10:54 PM, vce12342000 said:

Dont worry summers only 6 months away. It will be here in no time .....:laugh:

 

On slow 3rd shifts I get to rambling. I truly am lamenting the passing of Summer, it never is long enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The variety of species that stays active when water temps hit 40*F drops way off, it would be nice to see blue cats in this area simply for the late fall and winter large fish fishing opportunities they offer.

 

I have also wondered why the PFBC doesn't stock steelhead in the lower Allegheny. It would show a lot more foresight then stocking trout in the small creeks where many of them die over the summer. Browns and rainbows would have a chance at surviving the summer in the deeper cooler large rivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

Another 5 months and youll go back to fishing for the bottom feeding junkfish again :laugh:.....:stick:

I am fishing for bottom feeders right now vce, they are called walleye.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squidwontons33 said:

never had a problem with flatheads in cold water... channels yeah, its tough

You can catch flatheads in cold water, but I am not going to fish for hibernating fish that are attempting to conserve as much energy as possible by laying dorment in an attempt to survive the winter, though it would be possible to reach those pools now that I have a kayak, just not my thing.

 

If you are speaking of water temps warm enough for flatheads to actively feed, those are not the temps I am refering too. If anything, channels stay active longer into the cold months then flatheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

Another 5 months and youll go back to fishing for the bottom feeding junkfish again :laugh:.....:stick:

BTW, don't trout sit on the bottom too?

 

I seem to recall flavored playdo fished off the bottom as being one of the prefered baits for those bottom feeding glorified creek chubs. :witty::laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, Pylodictis said:

You can catch flatheads in cold water, but I am not going to fish for hibernating fish that are attempting to conserve as much energy as possible by laying dorment in an attempt to survive the winter, though it would be possible to reach those pools now that I have a kayak, just not my thing.

 

If you are speaking of water temps warm enough for flatheads to actively feed, those are not the temps I am refering too. If anything, channels stay active longer into the cold months then flatheads.

hmm, Ive always had flatheads over channels late fall, and early spring when the water is still cold, i'm talking snowy cold.  "too cold for catfish to be active, according to the bait shops". I love catfish, have a bunch of tattoos of flats and channels. Wish I lived closer to some hotspots. All my action has been south dakota, Iowa, Nebraska,  with big live bait and super light tackle below dams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, squidwontons33 said:

hmm, Ive always had flatheads over channels late fall, and early spring when the water is still cold, i'm talking snowy cold.  "too cold for catfish to be active, according to the bait shops". I love catfish, have a bunch of tattoos of flats and channels. Wish I lived closer to some hotspots. All my action has been south dakota, Iowa, Nebraska,  with big live bait and super light tackle below dams. 

Yeah, I am still getting channel cat activity in the shallows with a 40* water temp right now, but from my experiance, I can't get a flathead from shore once water temps dive into the mid to low 40s.

 

What water temps are you working with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't tell you off hand, Its such a bizarre state(SD at least.) I was inducted into a  tribe, in Rosebud, and have visited many times. We have had 85 degrees and sunny in the spring, and 2 days later we got slammed with snow. Its those Canadian fronts. If I had to guess, water was in the 50s. Did really well in Klondike Iowa, at a small spillway right on the border. snow was on the ground.  I used to chuck chubs and suckers  behind potruding rocks that acted like a current break and slam cats. Good info to know though, I know you do a ton of cat fishing. 

 

And one thing is for sure, If you are targeting big channels you need to be fishing big live bait, not that cheap liver or hot dog! Learned that pretty quick wit ha live mooneye, 

 

Been a while though, Ive gotten lazy. Just Stripes 24/7, pike a week out of the year, and roosters (or attempted roosters, every April

Edited by squidwontons33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, squidwontons33 said:

Couldn't tell you off hand, Its such a bizarre state(SD at least.) I was inducted into a  tribe, in Rosebud, and have visited many times. We have had 85 degrees and sunny in the spring, and 2 days later we got slammed with snow. Its those Canadian fronts. If I had to guess, water was in the 50s. Did really well in Klondike Iowa, at a small spillway right on the border. snow was on the ground.  I used to chuck chubs and suckers  behind potruding rocks that acted like a current break and slam cats. Good info to know though, I know you do a ton of cat fishing. 

 

And one thing is for sure, If you are targeting big channels you need to be fishing big live bait, not that cheap liver or hot dog! Learned that pretty quick wit ha live mooneye, 

 

Been a while though, Ive gotten lazy. Just Stripes 24/7, pike a week out of the year, and roosters (or attempted roosters, every April

Small world, my mom is from Pine Ridge and I am part of the Oglala Lakota tribe.

 

SD is a land of extemes in temps. 

 

50*F sounds about right for flatties still being active, my biggest ever came during a late Oct night, water temps still on that 50*F mark. If you are fishing for them during late fall from shore, walleye are always quicker to the bait in most cases. It could be that there are still some active flatheads about in 45*F water temps, but the walleye bite could be masking the flathead activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, Pylodictis said:

BTW, don't trout sit on the bottom too?

:laugh:.... Well all fish sit on the bottom @ 1 time or another depending on water temperatures.:witty: But trout feed on top for the most part. Hence flies and minnows. And for those who fish with powerbait. Its either suspended @ a certain water column  or floating on top :laugh:. The junk trailer fish bottom finders feed on the bottom 99% of the time :stick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Pylodictis said:

Small world, my mom is from Pine Ridge and I am part of the Oglala Lakota tribe.

 

SD is a land of extemes in temps. 

 

50*F sounds about right for flatties still being active, my biggest ever came during a late Oct night, water temps still on that 50*F mark. If you are fishing for them during late fall from shore, walleye are always quicker to the bait in most cases. It could be that there are still some active flatheads about in 45*F water temps, but the walleye bite could be masking the flathead activity.

Wow this is super helpful to know. I always follow your threads and posts, in the event I get out again soon.

 

Talk about a small world, Im Rosebud Lakota Sioux, Right on pine ridge, more Mission area

Edited by squidwontons33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.