FlounderWetspot

Gut hook

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Okay last night I was fishing a local hotspot and got thumped by a line side working a lead head.  Set the hook and fought the fish lightly, but it put up a great fight for its size. As I brought it in the boat I realized why it put up a great fight. The whole zoom fluke w/ 3/4 jig head + 3” of mono down the hatch.

”uh-oh” I thought. Gut hook. 

As luck would have it the fish wasn’t gut hooked but hooked in the bottom of the fishes mouth with the hook facing toward the bottom jaw. Popped it out and all was well, no blood and fish was good to go upon release. Swam away strong. 

So this got me thinking..being as the fish was only 24” (I measured quickly), whats the take on a gut hooked short that you KNOW doesn’t stand a chance at recovering before death? Do you throw it back to die ? 

Edited by FlounderWetspot

1 min ago, FlounderWetspot said:

Okay last night I was fishing a local hotspot and got thumped by a line side working a lead head.  Set the hook and fought the fish lightly, but it put up a great fight for its size. As I brought it in the boat I realized why it put up a great fight. The whole zoom fluke w/ 3/4 jig head + 3” of mono down the hatch.

”uh-oh” I thought. Gut hook. 

As luck would have it the fish wasn’t gut hooked but hooked in the bottom of the fishes mouth with the hook facing toward the bottom jaw. Popped it out and all was well, no blood and fish was good to go upon release. Swam away strong. 

So this got me thinking..being as the fish was only 24 (I measured quickly), whats the take on a gut hooked short that you KNOW doesn’t stand a chance at recovering before death? Do you throw it back to die ? 

Throw it back

Cut the line as far in as you can, leave the hook, and throw it back. Pretty sure it's illegal to keep a short regardless of whether you think it will survive or not. Granted I do not know where you live so cannot know your local regs.

I had the discussion with several other people and put the point out that even if it does die on deck at your feet (shouldn’t happen but I’m sure it does) that you would have a hell of a time explaining your self to fish and game.

I feel it would plant the seed of people doing it purposely and illegally, habitually. 

You can and should release injured or adversely hooked fish:  Contrary to

I have caught stripers that have had their entire sides torn away (probably by seals); yet, they still survivied.

I have caught fish with entire gills torn out of one side; yet, they still survived and survived well.

A gut hooked large striper is a no brainer for a release.  You can put your entire hand, or fist, or long nose tool down its throat and turn the hood around backwards (a single hook) for a pull out against only the barb.

Smaller gut hooked bass are more problematic.  Sometimes I "operate" through the gill opening to release a hook or turn it.  Sometimes they bleed.  So what?  They clot just like animals and humans do. 

Let Mother Nature make the call about your badly hooked fish. 

Edited by sauerkraut
Spelling

38 mins ago, glos said:

kill it and release it from its misery

Kill it and throw it back? Why not just remove the hook and throw it back? A 50% chance of survival (or 20 or 10 or 1%) is better than 0%