RiverRaider

The Magic Of Mushrooms

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

BBC Documentary about Fungus entitled "The Magic of Mushrooms" 

An hourlong documentary about Fungus... I know it sounds like it would be horrible but in fact it was fascinating 

Did you know, for example,  that the largest living organism on earth is a giant fungi in Oregon?

Or, that Mushrooms technically are more Animal than Plant... but of course are neither 

8 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Did you know, for example,  that the largest living organism on earth is a giant fungi in Oregon?

I thought it was Michigan, a giant, underground sponge-like thing, that has shoots coming outta the ground for miles around, but which for biological reasons that I do not understand, is considered one organism. It would be like if a forest were one plant, rather than zillions of individual trees.  

Did they find one bigger in Oregon? 

4 mins ago, Belmo said:

I thought it was Michigan, a giant, underground sponge-like thing, that has shoots coming outta the ground for miles around, but which for biological reasons that I do not understand, is considered one organism. It would be like if a forest were one plant, rather than zillions of individual trees.  

Did they find one bigger in Oregon? 

I dunno'  maybe the thing in Oregon outgrew the thing in Michigan 

200559921-139135.jpg.a3a86d95ee6eff60e5d7fc63e854ae52.jpg

Psilocybe serbica

Pileus (Cap): 
(1)2-4(5) cm in diameter and obtusely conical, later becoming campanulate or convex. It expands to broadly convex or plane in age and is incurved at first then plane or decurved with age. The cap is buff-brown to dingy orangish-brown and pale ochraceous when dry. It is smooth, hygrophanous, and slightly translucent-striate when moist but not viscid and without a separable gelatinous pellicle. The flesh is whitish to cream-colored.

Lamellae (Gills): 
Adnate to adnexed and close, often distinctly subdecurrent. They are initially light brown, becoming dark brown with age with a purple tint, the edges remaining paler.

Stipe (Stem): 
4.5-8(10) cm by 2-10 mm. It has an equal structure, slightly enlarging at the base. It is whitish with a silky gloss and glabrous, or with some whitish remnants of the fibrillose veil.

Microscopic features:
Spores are purple-brown, ellipsoid, slightly flattened, and thick-walled, with a distinct germ pore. The size is very variable, mostly 10-13 x 6-7.5 um, but also much longer.

Season:
June through November.

Habitat and Distribution:
Growing on well decayed deciduous and coniferous wood, on twigs, compost, plant residue, in forests, usually in moist places along creeks, forest path and roadside verges. Not reported to be synantropic.

Just now, Billybob said:

I actually had the magic mushroom hunters guide back in the day.

Oh what times we had, romping about the woodlands. 

Seriously.... you ever find Hallucinogenic Mushrooms locally like that?  

5 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Seriously.... you ever find Hallucinogenic Mushrooms locally like that?  

Yeah, you could but there weren't many to be found, and then the inevitable "are you sure they're the ones, and not one of the deadly ones"? "Of course, look at the gills, and when I picked it the stem turned a little purple - go ahead, eat one" 

Was my favorite lunch time snack for a long time in my younger days.. man the good times we had with those lil devils..  always like them more then cid because you could munch alil here alil there some more few hours later.. and just keep that nice mellow state going.. cid which I liked too was more of a one and done and needed like a whole day to recover after.. I remember first time snowboarding I felt it was good idea to munch an eighth at like 4 in the morn.. by 8am on the momtain the snow was electric blue and every time I fell I couldn't get up cause I was laughing so hard 

6 hours ago, glos said:

200559921-139135.jpg.a3a86d95ee6eff60e5d7fc63e854ae52.jpg

Psilocybe serbica

Pileus (Cap): 
(1)2-4(5) cm in diameter and obtusely conical, later becoming campanulate or convex. It expands to broadly convex or plane in age and is incurved at first then plane or decurved with age. The cap is buff-brown to dingy orangish-brown and pale ochraceous when dry. It is smooth, hygrophanous, and slightly translucent-striate when moist but not viscid and without a separable gelatinous pellicle. The flesh is whitish to cream-colored.

Lamellae (Gills): 
Adnate to adnexed and close, often distinctly subdecurrent. They are initially light brown, becoming dark brown with age with a purple tint, the edges remaining paler.

Stipe (Stem): 
4.5-8(10) cm by 2-10 mm. It has an equal structure, slightly enlarging at the base. It is whitish with a silky gloss and glabrous, or with some whitish remnants of the fibrillose veil.

Microscopic features:
Spores are purple-brown, ellipsoid, slightly flattened, and thick-walled, with a distinct germ pore. The size is very variable, mostly 10-13 x 6-7.5 um, but also much longer.

Season:
June through November.

Habitat and Distribution:
Growing on well decayed deciduous and coniferous wood, on twigs, compost, plant residue, in forests, usually in moist places along creeks, forest path and roadside verges. Not reported to be synantropic.

I see a image of Jesus in those leaves.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:22 AM, RiverRaider said:

BBC Documentary about Fungus entitled "The Magic of Mushrooms" 

An hourlong documentary about Fungus... I know it sounds like it would be horrible but in fact it was fascinating 

Or, that Mushrooms technically are more Animal than Plant... but of course are neither 

Solid thread