HugeDinghy

smokin' a turkey

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Yep, same as a chicken, just a bit longer. Run the smoker at 350-ish, light on the smoke, and cook until done. 

Having done a turkey on both a WSM and a kettle, I actually think the kettle is easier, because the main advantage of the WSM, which is keeping temperatures in the smoking range, is not really an asset when doing a turkey (when cooking a turkey in a WSM, keep the water pan empty). 

I did this zinger of a thread a few years ago: 

One of the big advantages of doin' the turkey outside on Turkey Day is freeing up oven space/space in the kitchen. The kitchen is a zoo that day, especially if you have only one oven, like me. 

Standing outside staring at a smoker sounds much better than being inside talking with my wife's family. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

Standing outside staring at a smoker sounds much better than being inside talking with my wife's family. 

I'd rather talk to the dogs. Or to Cool Hand Luke, the neighborhood guy who fried his brain on the brown acid, and walks around muttering to himself. 

I stuff mine with apples, oranges, and onions, then, season with poultry seasoning.... After an over night brine bath..   Lump charcoal and cherry wood chunks....In the Kamado..

Butch

Edited by Midnightpass

On 11/11/2017 at 0:22 PM, Patrick Cambria said:

Don't brine a store bought turkey unless you're certain it's not "enhanced".

Yeah, that goes without saying. But you should never buy one of those salt-injected monstrosities in the first place -- they are terrible, and should be avoided like the plague, irregardless (sic) of how you're cooking the bird. 

For me the problem with doing the bird in the smoker is that the house does not end up smelling like turkey, and I love that smell. I have done them, and they do come out great. 

6 hours ago, OGR8 said:

For me the problem with doing the bird in the smoker is that the house does not end up smelling like turkey, and I love that smell. I have done them, and they do come out great. 

Food usually taste better when you dont smell it cooking all day. That's why thing's usually taste better the next day like crock pot meals because by time it's done cooking your sense of smell is immune to it.

Easy on the smoke is very good advice.

Up here I am lucky to be able to Get a KICK ASS brand of lump charcoal (Wicked Good Charcoal) and I use no wood at all on any poultry