Mike D

Large Contractor Double Spot Light - not working

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

OK, I know this is a long shot but figured I'll ask.  I bought a very large heavy duty spot light at a yard sale last spring much more heavy duty than the picture but used this off the internet. The guy says it worked the last time he used it and course I never tried it.   I tried it, doesn't work. Put two new bulbs in, doesn't work.  Everything about it looks fine and wiring looks fine, buttons work and very heavy duty.  The chord runs through a double outlet box attached to the light, not sure if that could be an issue some how.

Any tips on what to test or did I get fleeced for $20?

2143988ab5f749540d7585627d9391.jpg

7 mins ago, richie c said:

Silly ques. but did you go over the cord and check for clean slices in it?

Yes, I did check all wiring but even sillier solution. I was going to delete but I'll leave this here for anyone's future reference.  There was a reset button on the outlet box connected to the light.  While I never plugged anything into it, it controlled the flow of power to the lights. They work now.  Got me out of painting last night ;) 

Edited by Mike D

If that is an "old school" work light, they use halogen or metal halide bulbs. Those things get ridiculously hot. Good reason to have a high limit or resetable breaker.  

I've contemplated upgrading to LED just for the reduction in heat and energy usage.