Yellow Perch

stripedbass_17

On November 10, 2017 at 10:03 AM, CDubbs said:

Good eating to

My favorite in FW. Perch are a good time. They hit just about anything.  Small spoons and inline spinners are much overlooked. 

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

i love yellows! i catch them closer to the bottom, when ice fishing i use a technique called perch pounding! i drop the jig down and pound the bottom to kick up sediment and bugs! they are attracted to it.  worms, small minnows, small panfish lures! caught a bunch of yellows over the weekend,. saturday fishing for bass i got them on small hair jigs and blade baits.  yesterday i used a small hook and worm, trying to catch small perch for bait for lake trout and smallmouth.  perch school up! so when you find one you'll find more! 

I never saw yellow perch here in Tennessee when I was growing up and fishing during the 1960s.  Then they mysteriously appeared during the late 1970s and got really common by the mid 1980s.  One of the best eating panfish in my opinion.  We catch them by accident when crappie or white bass fishing.  Minnows seem to be better live bait than redworms or nightcrawlers, and they really like twister tail grubs and popeye flies.