dbjpb

Temperatures are dropping in tri state area

13 posts in this topic

Just took off the watering timers. Damn I should have fished today, but was feeling behind in my work. Monday's a possibility unless the forecast changes.

1 hour ago, eddiespaghetti said:

What's wrong with tomorrow and Sunday? We need a cold snap to get things going, and here it is! Go gettem! 

I think my days of kayaking when temps are in the thirties are over.

Every year I pump myself up saying how im going to go out when its cold.  Id love to be out while its snowing.  Then the first few cold snaps come, Okemo is making snow.  Seems like its time to snowboard and hang up the yak lol!  Id like to get out one my time before ending the season, but im just not as motivated as I once was.  I wanna hear some good reports to get me back into it.

Back around when I was 30 and a new and obsessed whitewater kayaker, I'd be on rivers with snow on the ground and freezing temps. Once on the Housatonic we had to get out and drag our boats because the river was frozen over! Another time we paddled the Bottom Moose river, a series of waterfalls in the Adirondacks, on Columbus day. It snowed on our tents the night before, and when we got off the river, even though it was a blue sky day, the snow was still there. Good times, but long past.

I want  to get in on a good herring bite this year, didn't get the chance last season ......

Freaking crazy fishing around diving gannets............ herring &  30 - 40 # class bass makes for a fun time :)

20 mins ago, bantis said:

Every year I pump myself up saying how im going to go out when its cold.  Id love to be out while its snowing.  Then the first few cold snaps come, Okemo is making snow.  Seems like its time to snowboard and hang up the yak lol!  Id like to get out one my time before ending the season, but im just not as motivated as I once was.  I wanna hear some good reports to get me back into it.

this time of year calm days out front are few and far between. Got to get out when conditions allow. I have my new dry suite, plb and marine radio. I'm a lot more equipped than i was last year.

When its around the 30's  I paddle backbays and shorelines, and try to go on calmer sunny days. The colder the air temperature the nicer the day must be to get me out. It's all worth it when the fishing becomes catching. Feast or famine this time of year, and plenty of parking!

On 11/9/2017 at 9:18 PM, dbjpb said:

Don’t forget to disconnect out door hoses. Could be a cold weekend.

If it wasn't for this post i wouldn't have even thought of it! ....... done  :th:

I am going out in the morning. This will be the first day that the wind will cooperate in my effort to snag my rod off of the bottom of the bay. Air temps in the low 30s at sun up but north wind of only 2mph which is good.  Dry pants, dry top, gloves, head covered...   the good news is that I will be close to shore and the water temps are not that low yet.

oh and it would be nice to find some bass while I am out there.