bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 11-09-2017

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Today after what I saw yesterday (pods of Snook) led me to believe based on the tides, and wind that it had the potential to be a very good day. This was the sunrise when I walked onto the beach. Things still looked good.

P1090313sol.JPG.ff96d3d2300ffb80978b856843a81a4c.JPG

The thing I notice every morning is some days the colors are very vibrant and on others they are all washed out.

I started the day with the hopes that I would see Snook busting the bait which what has been happening the last 3 or 4 days. The problem today there was no bait and no breaking fish so the best I could do was blind cast and wait for it to get light enough to see if the pods of Snook were still there. I moved to the top of the trough to scan the shallower water first and I was able to see one pod of about 40 fish and I was able to watch as one followed the fly and and I had my first fish of the day. 

Today I had an objective of two fish for the day and I was half way home. The sun was up better and I could now see more pods of fish but they were once again a little spooky and showed no interest in eating. I was now thinking about leaving this area and moving but it is very hard to leave hundreds of Snook.

This was a typical sight along the trough.

P1090317sol.JPG.1ea68a5701142dfe72b2a64795a6d6bb.JPG

If I am one thing it is I am persistent and I was finally able to find one fish that quickly moved out of a pod and chased the fly down and I watched it eat the fly. This was my objective fish.

P1090321sol.JPG.1a9afea80b13f040ffed57764eb16d50.JPG

I now knew that anything I caught after this fish was a bonus but what I caught was not what I expected. A guy on a bicycle with balloon tires bombing done the beach can make lot of noise when you snag them on a back cast, they also take a fair amount of drag before they hit the brakes.

He was not happy and I could care less, this guy does this daily and I explained he has as much a responsibility to let people know he is behind you as I do to look behind me. After he unplucked the hook from his arm (the barb did not penetrate) and untangled himself he finally went on his way.

I then dragged all my line to the water to wash of the sand and decided to change flies. I then started to stretch the line and strip it back into my basket and the line just snapped in two. The line had a number of cracks in it and I was hoping it would last until next Tuesday. I am not sure if it got cut by the bike or if it was just coincidence that it broke but my morning session was over.

I then walked back to the car and headed to Bailey's for a coffee and then to Norm's for a new line. The line that broke was a Sci Angler 30 foot head clear intermediate tropical sink tip with intermediate running line. This line did have coiling issues from time to time, especially when the temps got cooler. The new line I got was a Rio tropical 10 clear intermediate sink tip with an intermediate running line.

I had no plans to fish this evening but I decided to make quick run to the water to try the line on the water and I was extremely satisfied with how it cast and I was looking forward to getting a Snook on it as my first fish and I was hoping that tonight that would happen but the Ladyfish had other ideas. 

Tomorrow is another day and today ended with this sunset as I walked off the beach.

P1090322sol.JPG.10775a46ac736bcefe0ec7ff35021622.JPG

Edited by bonefishdick

6 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

So you caught and landed a 170lber? :)

Catch & Release all the way !

A great testament to the Lamson drag, no backlash at all, nice and smooth.

I like checking out your threads. I was in FL last week and had 3 days to fish the beach in Bonita Springs/Naples. Before that, we were in  Cape Coral and fished the barrier island. No joy there, but we managed a bunch of varied fish in Bonita Springs. I got my first Snook after years of Summer fishing down in Longboat Key. Hard to believe it took that long. It was only about 14 inches but it was my trophy for the week. Caught some Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish, Lizard Fish, 1 Pompano, 1 Bonnet Head Shark, 1 nice Sheepshead on a small Yozuri minnow believe it or not, and had a lot of fun. We saw and fished a lot of bait, 5 feet from shore. It's amazing how few fish we actually caught in spite of the volume of bait and predators. I was also amazed how small the predators were. We fished all lures and shrimp. Had more luck with the lures. We also saw a lot of Tarpon in the canals behind my buddy's house in Cape Coral but could not get a bite. Morning daytime and night time. Pinfish and shrimp and lures. Not a bite!

Keep posting the pics.

Oh, and what is the deal with the brown water down there. It was as far offshore in Naples as the 7 miles we went out to scuba one day. Is that just a periodic thing from the Okeechobee runoff, or is it always like that there? I've never seen it like that in Sarasota bay, but I haven't been there in a couple years.

Edited by Andy B
Added Sheepshead

1 hour ago, Andy B said:

I like checking out your threads. I was in FL last week and had 3 days to fish the beach in Bonita Springs/Naples. Before that, we were in  Cape Coral and fished the barrier island. No joy there, but we managed a bunch of varied fish in Bonita Springs. I got my first Snook after years of Summer fishing down in Longboat Key. Hard to believe it took that long. It was only about 14 inches but it was my trophy for the week. Caught some Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish, Lizard Fish, 1 Pompano, 1 Bonnet Head Shark, 1 nice Sheepshead on a small Yozuri minnow believe it or not, and had a lot of fun. We saw and fished a lot of bait, 5 feet from shore. It's amazing how few fish we actually caught in spite of the volume of bait and predators. I was also amazed how small the predators were. We fished all lures and shrimp. Had more luck with the lures. We also saw a lot of Tarpon in the canals behind my buddy's house in Cape Coral but could not get a bite. Morning daytime and night time. Pinfish and shrimp and lures. Not a bite!

Keep posting the pics.

Oh, and what is the deal with the brown water down there. It was as far offshore in Naples as the 7 miles we went out to scuba one day. Is that just a periodic thing from the Okeechobee runoff, or is it always like that there? I've never seen it like that in Sarasota bay, but I haven't been there in a couple years.

The pictures are one of the things I enjoy doing, so you will keep seeing them.

Florida is a interesting place, tons of bait and no fish around to eat them and other areas you will see lots of Snook and no bait. It is when they get together that things get inter resting.

The water your seeing is from Lake O, not sure how long they will be releasing but it is a problem. Progress is slowly being made to resolve it and hopefully it will get resolved in a timely fashion. What we need is some weather with a normal rainfall season to get things under control.  If you check the Captains for Clean Waters website you can get a great explanation of the issues and the plans to resolve them.