Africaster

NY kayaking regulations

19 posts in this topic

I was given a friendly word of advice at 1am this morning after beaching in J-Bay by a Parks Ranger (I assume). I wasn't at an official launch spot and didn't have a NY kayaking license... guess it's another effing piece of paper that's going to get waterlogged in my PFD pocket.

Brad, do they charge for the license? Meanwhile, I easily laminated my NJ fishing license. Laid out a couple of strips of packing tape sticky side up. Placed the license down on it. Then, covered the top of the license with packing tape. Pressed it all together then trimmed the edges. Waterproof enough to keep in a plug bag or something

Some years ago I bought a pack of waterproof laser print paper. Great for printing these permits and licenses on. Plus good for charts and Hiking Maps.

1 hour ago, Africaster said:

I was given a friendly word of advice at 1am this morning after beaching in J-Bay by a Parks Ranger (I assume). I wasn't at an official launch spot and didn't have a NY kayaking license... guess it's another effing piece of paper that's going to get waterlogged in my PFD pocket.

Last year they gave out the “no fishing sticker” summons for that violation. I guess since it’s not in their federal government rulebook procedures you can fight it and they trash it. 

Edited by EliasV

thats only if you launch from  those facilities. if you launch from say floyd bennett field boat ramp you only need a permit from dusk to dawn . at least thats the way i thought it to be 

1 hour ago, breezybass said:

thats only if you launch from  those facilities. if you launch from say floyd bennett field boat ramp you only need a permit from dusk to dawn . at least thats the way i thought it to be 

NYC has it's own permit for those designated facilities. Then you have the national park service after hour parking permit which grants you access to launch from their designated areas. 

What would be the best way to obtain such a permit?...Is it possible to do it on line?...and how much is it?...they did a good job with fishing licenses...you can get them all without hustle for NJ and NY by going on their web sites and printing them out...

Man, I'm glad i live out in the boonies away from all that nonsense.....

All i really need is DEC access permit for a few launch sites i frequent & since i already get a county & state 4x4 permit for surf-casting they serve as dual purpose for launching at the rest of the areas i fish......

26 mins ago, BillZ said:

Man, I'm glad i live out in the boonies away from all that nonsense.....

A nonresident out in Suffolk is screwed however, and can't park anywhere, at least during the summer.

yeah, i face that same fate the further east i go, East Hampton, Southhold, they have a ton of off limit areas i would like to get to, a lot of montauk is Eh town controlled as well................ 

Edited by BillZ
I cant spell off...