Hectic530

Fishing glasses (recommendations)

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I’m looking for a recommendations on a good pair of fishing glasses i had a pair of   Oakley’s but lost them they worked ok but I’m sure there’s better ones out there

Edited by Hectic530

I'll 2nd the Costas in 580G.  I have mine in blue mirror.  They are expensive but the optical quality is fantastic.  Never tried any of the others so I can't comment on those. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

I went through this back in August. I started by getting the Smith Guide's Choice with the Chromopop+ lenses in bronze. Great lenses...what you're looking at really does seem to "stand out" and is clearly defined, and they're nice and light too. The problem was they fit my face/head horribly. They kept falling down the bridge of my nose with the slightest movement, which wasn't going to work with surfcasting. I returned them to the online vendor and picked up a pair of Maui Jim Surfriders with HCL Bronze SuperThin Glass lenses from a local brick and mortar...at 20% off. Awesome glasses. The clarity of the lenses is great and they fit perfectly...super comfortable and they don't move while I'm in the surf. 

1. Give Maui Jim's a look see

2. Do your best to try on whichever ones you're interested in, before buying them.

Edited by Romer Treece

I work on the water, so good sunglasses are a valuable tool. I've had some good ones over the years, but this spring I purchased the Costa Rafael with 580G green mirror. The optical clarity and contrast are incredible, and they're awesome for sight fishing. The best glasses I've owned, period. 

5 hours ago, Hectic530 said:

What’s the RCI I heard of the smiths thats a good choice they look  comfortable 

4DA8B47B-0AA4-4E07-A461-E04E13D0BCFC.png

RCI is Right Coast Independent I believe, and really popular in Florida. Great optical quality on par with the best of the best but no glass options, Smith only has the Techlite in glass which I feel is inferior to Chromapop clarity, but they are very nice spring loaded frames with a nice safety cable option that can be integrated into the glasses. Guide Series fit my face the best and are the most comfortable of any glasses I've tried, and have a pair on backorder coming. I still probably like the Costa 580g lenses the best of all, but their frame quality, and rubber has been very poor over the last few years. New frames rectify the melting rubber issues and Costa has tons of frame styles to get the right fit for you. If you go Costa, do your research and seeks out any frame issues prehand. I also get sandy alot and wipe my glasses on my dirty shirts frequently, so have learned that glass is my only option although heavier. Maui Jims as said, are also a quality option. All very nice, just depends on your preferences

1 hour ago, Romer Treece said:

I went through this back in August. I started by getting the Smith Guide's Choice with the Chromopop+ lenses in bronze. Great lenses...what you're looking at really does seem to "stand out" and is clearly defined, and they're nice and light too. The problem was they fit my face/head horribly. They kept falling down the bridge of my nose with the slightest movement, which wasn't going to work with surfcasting. I returned them to the online vendor and picked up a pair of Maui Jim Surfriders with HCL Bronze SuperThin Glass lenses from a local brick and mortar...at 20% off. Awesome glasses. The clarity of the lenses is great and they fit perfectly...super comfortable and they don't move while I'm in the surf. 

1. Give Maui Jim's a look see

2. Do your best to try on whichever ones your interested in, before buying them.

As recommended, make sure you try them on before buying if at all possible. So many quality choices and frames now that I wouldn't chance a poor fit. Even within the large, extra large, etc fits as in Costa individual frames fit me much differently.

I've owned almost every brand of higher end sunglasses you can think of and Costa is the best hands down. As already said, find a frame you like and get the 580g lenses. Worth every penny. But if you don't want to fork over the extra for the glass lenses, even the plastic ones are fantastic. I sent my saltbreaks in for repair last year (the nose rubber came loose). They called me and asked if I would like to replace the lenses because they were scratched. That would've cost an extra $90. I declined and said I'll replace them next time I send them in. They replaced my frames entirely and polished the lenses. It was like a brand new pair and only cost $25.

Edited by chitala383

I've got a pair of 580g costas and a pair of smith chromapop ii, among others.  The lenses, clarity, sharpness of the costas are much greater than the chromapop lenses.  But also comparing  a glass lense to a polycarbonate lense which isn't really fair.  I find the smiths to be more comfortable, partly because the polycarbonate lenses are lighter.  Consequently I wear the Smiths more.  Both very nice glasses. 

I've tried on every frame Costa makes, could not get one to fit until they released the Global/Omni Fit frames a couple of years ago. Now I have 2 pairs of Fisch Omnis in 580G, blue and green mirrors...excellent.

Side by side, Maui has better polarization for me, which was surprising. I could see things in the water I couldn't with the Costas. But overall clarity and contrast, 580G is unrivaled imo. 

I'm not sure if you need prescription, but I went with the Costas with progressive lenses and I have to tell you I think they are remarkable.  I can look down at my electronics and see clearly and then right back up to scan the water.  No question the best glasses I have ever owned, including the Maui's I wore for years.