fishingbaby1999

How to fish a swim shad and buck tail

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

First read Skinners bucktailing book, then work on adapting his techniques to your specific conditions. 

My stategy is:  Use a weight of lure that allows me to swim it just barely off the bottom with as little speed as possible.  This is for both buck tails and swim shads/jigs. 

The swim shad is my go to lure. There is no wrong way to throw it. Try different retrieves, the fish will tell you want they like on certain days. I usually will start with a slow steady retrieve. Then I will add a twitch every couple turns. Sometimes if the fish are aggressive a fast retrieve is best. If the fishing is really slow some times I pause and let the swim bait dive down stead of twitching. Sometimes that pause just looks like an easy meal they will bite when nothing else works.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, cec127 said:

The swim shad is my go to lure. There is no wrong way to throw it. Try different retrieves, the fish will tell you want they like on certain days. I usually will start with a slow steady retrieve. Then I will add a twitch every couple turns. Sometimes if the fish are aggressive a fast retrieve is best. If the fishing is really slow some times I pause and let the swim bait dive down stead of twitching. Sometimes that pause just looks like an easy meal they will bite when nothing else works.

you have to know how many inches is one turn on reel handle.

my is 24"=2'

first cast make longest cast and count the turns.

when you hook fish start counting the turns,it will tel you haw far are the fish.

you can do the difrent retrieve with counting turns on reel.

one second one turn,one second 2 turns,

this way when you hit fish you will know what speed they like.