macattack893

Brown Trout at Night

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

This has been somewhat of an obsession of mine going into the cooler fall nights. I have gone out three times in the last couple weeks specifically targeting brown trout at night. I've come up with nothing to show every time so far. One of the nights I had trout surface feeding for a good 30 minutes well within casting distance and nothing would go after my lures. I've been using small stick baits, suspending jerk baits, jointed rapalas, but they still wont bite. Using spinning rod 7 ft with 4lb flouro so i doubt they are getting line shy. Anyone have the same happen to them? I've even tried with shiners off the bottom without no luck. All I have to show is a couple small yellow perch. My goal is to connect with one before the ponds start to freeze up. Looking to see if anyone has any other tips or advice on connecting with these browns at night. 

Saw a little kid catch an 8lb +/- brown trout with a shiner and snoopy rod 20 minutes outside of Boston in the middle of the day once. Biggest trout I've ever seen at least 30"

I have not cracked that code yet myself, mostly lack of effort but it's on my list.

I do have s couple thoughts:

The state has been weird lately about where they put browns. You got to check their list to see which ones typically get browns. It's not always where you'd think. 

For big ones you need forage. Herring or smelt. They holdover and live for years in many ponds but when they feed on bugs only they don't get big.

Speaking of bugs, when they feed on top they can get very selective. A fly and bobber or meal worm and bobber sometimes work, but those may all be rainbows. I've found bows much more likely to ignore lures for bugs.

Lastly, I know we all see pics and vids of fall caught browns. Personally, I've found them very difficult that time of year even when you can see em.

Got a 2-3 lber at the chu a few days ago at dusk. Looked to be in spawning mode. Caught by accident on a kastmaster while targeting lakers and salmon.

The very few holdovers ive caught have all been in low light or dark. Hard to see a pattern in lure selection too small a sample size.

when u fished the shiners off the bottom were you casting them way out deep? Back when I used to trout fish a lot as a kid a few of the regulars at my favorite pond told me to fish shiners under a float in close to shore in the fall and early winter. It was a kettle pond so there was plenty of deep water in close. Apparently browns would cruise the shore line looking for bait during low light times. All I know is definitely worked. I would occasionally get rainbows but mostly browns with 2 being over 5 pounds 

I was using the shiner off the bottom not too far from shore. Mostly casting parallel to shore with lures. The places I've been going have room for fly fishing but I just got my first fly rod this past summer and am still learning how to use it. I followed the spring stocking schedule online and remember  It seems like all the pieces are coming together being time of year, lures, time of day, and location but still nothing. Next time I go I'm going to try a shiner with a bobber keep it up top of the water column tight to the shoreline near some drop offs. It will only make it that much better once I get into one of these fish. 

5 hours ago, Skitter said:

Hi Brian

most kettleponds will allow shoreline fly fishing

You’re choices are fine....

Are you coming to visit?

In fact the one benefit of the drought is the kettle ponds I fish in north Central Ma have big wide strips of open beach to cast from. Even after the heavy rain last week, Whites didn't come up noticeably. 

6 hours ago, macattack893 said:

I was using the shiner off the bottom not too far from shore. Mostly casting parallel to shore with lures. The places I've been going have room for fly fishing but I just got my first fly rod this past summer and am still learning how to use it. I followed the spring stocking schedule online and remember  It seems like all the pieces are coming together being time of year, lures, time of day, and location but still nothing. Next time I go I'm going to try a shiner with a bobber keep it up top of the water column tight to the shoreline near some drop offs. It will only make it that much better once I get into one of these fish. 

Bear in mind you do not have to be able to cast far to get to where the big browns are at night. I have had good luck at night on the Cape with small mouse fly. Or big purple/black wooly buggers. Usually the fish are roaming around in 2-4 feet of water where I fish over a sandy bottom, so you can make out their silhouettes. The hardest part is presenting a bulky fly in a delicate manner that will not immediately send them packing. Give the fly rod a go for a night or two. Maybe you will surprise yourself. 

Caught many big browns at night. Two things I would do,

1- Fish a shiner with little or no weight at all.

2- If you are allowed to fish a second rod, fish the second one with a split shot set about 14" above the bait. #5 split shot should be about right. See if this makes a difference for you