scoobydoo

New Shimano Curado 200K review

18 posts in this topic

Interesting reel.  Very feature rich for it's price point.   Probably the most solid low profile reel ever made Under 200$

If they bring this down to the 70 or Aldebaran size with all the same bonus features.  They could really put a hurtin on the competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent video.

 

I don't see a plastic worm gear for the level wind of a reel like that being a big deal, it isn't like the reel has a level wind that stays engaged on the cast.

Edited by Pylodictis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, Pylodictis said:

Would be interesting to see you do a breakdown of the Concept 13 A. 

 

 

I'm interested in   13 Fishing's new Concept Z  low-profile reel that uses polymer bushings instead of ball bearings.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 9:03 PM, lichum said:

 

 

I'm interested in   13 Fishing's new Concept Z  low-profile reel that uses polymer bushings instead of ball bearings.

 

 

 

I actually found the company who makes the bushings.  They're willing to send me samples as long as i don't infringe on 13's formula.

I just need to get around to getting all the measurements.

I'm gonna deck out one of my steez reels with bushings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I actually found the company who makes the bushings.  They're willing to send me samples as long as i don't infringe on 13's formula.

I just need to get around to getting all the measurements.

I'm gonna deck out one of my steez reels with bushings.

 

That would be really interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I actually found the company who makes the bushings.  They're willing to send me samples as long as i don't infringe on 13's formula.

I just need to get around to getting all the measurements.

I'm gonna deck out one of my steez reels with bushings.

How does the curado stack up against the tranx?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike3dr said:

How does the curado stack up against the tranx?

The curado is a bit smaller.  With a smaller capacity.  The thumbar is supported by a single spring where the tranx is a spring plus a heavy detent.  

Curado uses a plastic work gear for the levelwind.  Tranx metal

 

Tranx has seals that have proven effective in my use.  But have pics from a gent from croatia that had issues.  And been told by another who's xship bearing seized 3 times (which sounds a bit off)

 

curado uses the latest svs infinity 4 brake block centrifugal brake where the tranx uses the standard 6 pin that's been around forever.

The lastest svs infinity brake is in my opinion the best centrifugal brake out.   Equal to abus ivcb6 and lockable 6  

The braking on the tranx comes it hot and trails off nicely....with two brakes on it doesnt come in too hot like on the old curado 300...that may be the added spool weight of the tranx 400 doin that.

The curado brake comes in early and evenly without being too overbearing all the way up to the apex and trails off to nothing at the end which is very nice for calm conditions and 1 brake block on.  

 

Both are very refined and very sturdy. Best in class drivetrain support.  

Curado is a good medium heavy baitcaster.  Tranx a good mh to heavy.

 

I've heard from a few guys that had issues with lexas getting bent up togging and pulling out snags with heavy braid.  Have heard and seen the tranx 3 and 400 hold up to that sort of abuse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 0:56 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

Would be interesting to see you do a breakdown of the Concept 13 A. 

Wait....w t f happened to your name..lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:07 AM, scoobydoo said:

The curado is a bit smaller.  With a smaller capacity.  The thumbar is supported by a single spring where the tranx is a spring plus a heavy detent.  

Curado uses a plastic work gear for the levelwind.  Tranx metal

 

Tranx has seals that have proven effective in my use.  But have pics from a gent from croatia that had issues.  And been told by another who's xship bearing seized 3 times (which sounds a bit off)

 

curado uses the latest svs infinity 4 brake block centrifugal brake where the tranx uses the standard 6 pin that's been around forever.

The lastest svs infinity brake is in my opinion the best centrifugal brake out.   Equal to abus ivcb6 and lockable 6  

The braking on the tranx comes it hot and trails off nicely....with two brakes on it doesnt come in too hot like on the old curado 300...that may be the added spool weight of the tranx 400 doin that.

The curado brake comes in early and evenly without being too overbearing all the way up to the apex and trails off to nothing at the end which is very nice for calm conditions and 1 brake block on.  

 

Both are very refined and very sturdy. Best in class drivetrain support.  

Curado is a good medium heavy baitcaster.  Tranx a good mh to heavy.

 

I've heard from a few guys that had issues with lexas getting bent up togging and pulling out snags with heavy braid.  Have heard and seen the tranx 3 and 400 hold up to that sort of abuse.

 

 

The spool shaft is getting bent up on the Lexas doing what you mentioned? Where those the Lexa 300s or 400s or both? Were they thumbing the spool when fighting the tog? I am definitely curious to know exactly how they managed to damage the reel, never damaged my Lexa,even with all the snags I pulled out of or with any of the fish I caught using that reel. Komodos have held up similarly.

 

Makes me wonder how all the bigger low pro reels would handle that kind of similar abuse if tested against each other.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

I changed it up some. Change is good sometimes. :laugh:

LOL

43 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

The spool shaft is getting bent up on the Lexas doing what you mentioned? Where those the Lexa 300s or 400s or both? Were they thumbing the spool when fighting the tog? I am definitely curious to know exactly how they managed to damage the reel, never damaged my Lexa,even with all the snags I pulled out of or with any of the fish I caught using that reel. Komodos have held up similarly.

 

Makes me wonder how all the bigger low pro reels would handle that kind of similar abuse if tested against each other.

It's not a common thing.  Met a guy at a show who mentioned it and was messaged on youtube twice about it.  All pulling out snags when hung using heavy braid and leaders.  these were 300s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

LOL

It's not a common thing.  Met a guy at a show who mentioned it and was messaged on youtube twice about it.  All pulling out snags when hung using heavy braid and leaders.  these were 300s

It doesn't surprise me that the shafts bent.

 

Usually after a couple pulls of the reel with the drag tightened and no progress on freeing the snag, I just use a wooden dowel.

 

Maybe that could be a subject for another one of your videos, how to properly break off from a snag. To many guys out there cut their line leaving 20yds or more of heavy braid waving in the current waiting to snag someone else up. Then, others break rods and reels trying to pull out of snags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think about the curado k versus the Curado 70?  I compared them side by side and although the k looks a tiny bit larger and doesn't sit quite as low I am not sure it makes that big of difference.

 

I have been chasing another Curado 50e but I am starting to think the 70 or new K series would be a better choice.  I like the idea of going lighter and smaller but I just bought a Tatula SV.

 

I appreciate any input.

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.