Birdsnester

New Believer!!!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I grew up on Long Island fishing the Great South Bay with my Dad.  We used to rent a wooden skiff and take it from the local rental shop using my Dad's 5.5 HP Evenrude motor that he bought new when he was 17 years old (I still have the motor).  We'd travel through Merrick Bay to the Jones inlet and fish Flounder, Fluke, Blowfish or Black fish mostly.  I remember traveling to the Throgs Neck Bridge and digging up our bait for the day.  Normally we'd get sand and tape worms.  It was always plentiful and I never thought that there was any other way to fish.  Why would I, we'd fill the boat almost every time with our fill of Flounder.  Fluke and Black fish were less plentiful.but still very productive and the free bait was a plus.  I did not come from a family with lots of money so digging up our bait was the only option.

Now, Dad's in his 80's and does not fish anymore.  Actually I took off from the sport for 3 decades before getting the itch again.  I've experimented with all types of rods and reels and found that I really like the challenge of casting conventional reels and really love fishing from the beach.  So, knowing what I know and what I knew from back in the day, naturally I purchased rods and reels that would heave great weight with bait.  I had a new interest in Striper fishing (in no small part because of this site), so I bought lots and lots of Bunker from the local tackle shop.  I learned to Heave large weight quite a long way.  What happened next changed everything.  I heard about tossing lures from the beach.  Buck tails, poppers, mag bombers, jigs and on and on.  I put my nose up to them since it was not what I was brought up on and I was really successful when I was a kid fishing with Dad.  My wife (a googleholic) researched and researched and found a bunch of really nice lures to give me for my 55th birthday.  She purchased a couple of Mag Bombers, a white buck tail with an eel tail, some jigs and a few other things.  I decided to give it a try and went out to Jones Beach to try my hand at lure fishing.  Bare in mind that I have no gear for lure fishing.  

So, I have this 14' magic jack continental surf rod rated 3 to 6 oz.  The rating could not be right because it seems to cast 2 to 5 oz really well so, since that is my lightest rod, it became my lure casting rod of the moment.  I have an Akios Sports Cast 656 reel which matches nicely with the rod so I thought i'd give it a whirl.  I loaded it up with 20 Trilene mono and off I went.   I went out at low tide to scope the area that I wanted to fish.  I notice all kinds of Troughs, flats and bars that I had not seen before.  I tied on a buck tail with the eel tail and started tossing it to the breakers.  

An hour or so of casting went by and BAM, my first hit ever from a lure.  It was amazing, I totally loved the feel of it.  All that work for that hour and I had landed my first striper on fake fish.  I landed two that day, one was of legal size and landed one in an hour or so the next.  The second was using a jig with a tube...  

So, this week I became a believer.  

14 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I grew up on Long Island fishing the Great South Bay with my Dad.  We used to rent a wooden skiff and take it from the local rental shop using my Dad's 5.5 HP Evenrude motor that he bought new when he was 17 years old (I still have the motor).  We'd travel through Merrick Bay to the Jones inlet and fish Flounder, Fluke, Blowfish or Black fish mostly.  I remember traveling to the Throgs Neck Bridge and digging up our bait for the day.  Normally we'd get sand and tape worms.  It was always plentiful and I never thought that there was any other way to fish.  Why would I, we'd fill the boat almost every time with our fill of Flounder.  Fluke and Black fish were less plentiful.but still very productive and the free bait was a plus.  I did not come from a family with lots of money so digging up our bait was the only option.

Now, Dad's in his 80's and does not fish anymore.  Actually I took off from the sport for 3 decades before getting the itch again.  I've experimented with all types of rods and reels and found that I really like the challenge of casting conventional reels and really love fishing from the beach.  So, knowing what I know and what I knew from back in the day, naturally I purchased rods and reels that would heave great weight with bait.  I had a new interest in Striper fishing (in no small part because of this site), so I bought lots and lots of Bunker from the local tackle shop.  I learned to Heave large weight quite a long way.  What happened next changed everything.  I heard about tossing lures from the beach.  Buck tails, poppers, mag bombers, jigs and on and on.  I put my nose up to them since it was not what I was brought up on and I was really successful when I was a kid fishing with Dad.  My wife (a googleholic) researched and researched and found a bunch of really nice lures to give me for my 55th birthday.  She purchased a couple of Mag Bombers, a white buck tail with an eel tail, some jigs and a few other things.  I decided to give it a try and went out to Jones Beach to try my hand at lure fishing.  Bare in mind that I have no gear for lure fishing.  

So, I have this 14' magic jack continental surf rod rated 3 to 6 oz.  The rating could not be right because it seems to cast 2 to 5 oz really well so, since that is my lightest rod, it became my lure casting rod of the moment.  I have an Akios Sports Cast 656 reel which matches nicely with the rod so I thought i'd give it a whirl.  I loaded it up with 20 Trilene mono and off I went.   I went out at low tide to scope the area that I wanted to fish.  I notice all kinds of Troughs, flats and bars that I had not seen before.  I tied on a buck tail with the eel tail and started tossing it to the breakers.  

An hour or so of casting went by and BAM, my first hit ever from a lure.  It was amazing, I totally loved the feel of it.  All that work for that hour and I had landed my first striper on fake fish.  I landed two that day, one was of legal size and landed one in an hour or so the next.  The second was using a jig with a tube...  

So, this week I became a believer.  

I caught many nice fish on bait before I ever switched to lures. I would always either fish eels or bunker. I started with bucktails since I had already caught countless other kinds of fish on bucktails. It might make me sound like a googan but I’ve never caught anything on wood. Just never bought wood lures. Just got a few though so I’m going to try them out. The only reason I haven’t caught a fish on one though is I’ve never thrown one. 

1 min ago, Big Will said:

I caught many nice fish on bait before I ever switched to lures. I would always either fish eels or bunker. I started with bucktails since I had already caught countless other kinds of fish on bucktails. It might make me sound like a googan but I’ve never caught anything on wood. Just never bought wood lures. Just got a few though so I’m going to try them out. The only reason I haven’t caught a fish on one though is I’ve never thrown one. 

It still boggles my mind that fish are attracted to something that looks NOTHING like the food they normally eat.  A diamond Jig???  BAM, fish caught.  Why the heck would they attack a hunk of silvery metal.  

6 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

It still boggles my mind that fish are attracted to something that looks NOTHING like the food they normally eat.  A diamond Jig???  BAM, fish caught.  Why the heck would they attack a hunk of silvery metal.  

They do look like food. Anything they can eat is food for them. Bass are not picky. A silvery metal moving through the water looks like an injured bait fish. Remember fish do not have the same kind of vision that we have. They use their senses to hunt as well. The vibrations sent through the water and flash of the metal attracts them. They might not know what it is but they see it moving and see it as an easy target. That’s why with striped bass I reel very slow. Big bass wait for easy prey, they are lazy. They will eat lobsters, crabs, bunker, clams anything probably even a bird if it is easy enough for them to grab. They don’t care what it is as long as it looks like it’s alive. And a diamond jig looks a lot like a small bait fish in the water everything is distorted especially if the water is dirty. 

7 mins ago, Big Will said:

They do look like food. Anything they can eat is food for them. Bass are not picky. A silvery metal moving through the water looks like an injured bait fish. Remember fish do not have the same kind of vision that we have. They use their senses to hunt as well. The vibrations sent through the water and flash of the metal attracts them. They might not know what it is but they see it moving and see it as an easy target. That’s why with striped bass I reel very slow. Big bass wait for easy prey, they are lazy. They will eat lobsters, crabs, bunker, clams anything probably even a bird if it is easy enough for them to grab. They don’t care what it is as long as it looks like it’s alive. And a diamond jig looks a lot like a small bait fish in the water everything is distorted especially if the water is dirty. 

Interesting....   Last weekend I was in Montauk scoping the area for a future trip.  As I was walking I noticed lots, and I mean LOTS of lobster claws on the beach.  I wonder if it was Bass feeding or maybe Seals...  Either way, I guess I have to realize that Bass don't see like we do.  I'll keep plugging away (pun intended) with plugs and other fun stuff.

11 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Interesting....   Last weekend I was in Montauk scoping the area for a future trip.  As I was walking I noticed lots, and I mean LOTS of lobster claws on the beach.  I wonder if it was Bass feeding or maybe Seals...  Either way, I guess I have to realize that Bass don't see like we do.  I'll keep plugging away (pun intended) with plugs and other fun stuff.

I’ve heard that the preferred food source of the really big bass is lobsters. But they will anything that comes their way. You’re lucky you live up in striper country. Down in jersey there isn’t as many good beaches as up there. I would like to explore Long Island one day but I wouldn’t even know where to start except for montauk and around the inlets. 

stripers will hit any thing that fits there mouth, I've cleaned a striper once and found a 8 inch surf perch still whole in his stomach. until now I still love the feeling when you get a bump on your lure and gets you casting more and the back pain disappear.

9 hours ago, sandworm said:

stripers will hit any thing that fits there mouth, I've cleaned a striper once and found a 8 inch surf perch still whole in his stomach. until now I still love the feeling when you get a bump on your lure and gets you casting more and the back pain disappear.

LoL my back was screaming until I hooked one.  I gues the adrenaline and the extra movement loosened it.

21 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Probably they were from a lobster boil. Were the claws red?

Great post!  I remember hooking up with my first weakfish in Herford Inlet, NJ on a seawall with my white bucktail and curly white trailer in the mid 90's. 7' fiberglass pole and a Penn Spinfisher!  I was a believer after 2+ decades of stinky hands.  The good old days.

2 mins ago, D1fishr said:

Great post!  I remember hooking up with my first weakfish in Herford Inlet, NJ on a seawall with my white bucktail and curly white trailer in the mid 90's. 7' fiberglass pole and a Penn Spinfisher!  I was a believer after 2+ decades of stinky hands.  The good old days.

LOL yeah my wife is much happier.  No stinky clothes or stinky ME...