Theiceman33

Fish Handling Methods

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, buz23 said:

Interesting, but I'm not sure the results on 2-6 pound largemouths translate to a striper of the size we are all trying to catch.

If you actually read it you will see that the study specifically addresses this - the sample fish used for the study were not chosen at random but were chosen based on having an ideal relative weight; that is, “Relative weight is a body condition score fisheries biologists use to compare the actual weight of a fish to what it should weigh based on its length." Bigger fish = proportionally stronger jaw as compared to small fish. But I do agree that you cannot take all of the data and use it for stripers. I see people holding schoolies all the time by the lower jaw with all the weight on that joint so the fish is hanging kind of horizontal, but never seen it with a trophy sized fish.

While I think that pics of fish hanging from lipper look stupid, what looks even worse is the pictures of a fish that is covered in dirt and leaves laying on the bank with your stupid foot in the photo. How about an article on the effect of that on striper mortality. 

1 hour ago, capefish4231 said:

While I think that pics of fish hanging from lipper look stupid, what looks even worse is the pictures of a fish that is covered in dirt and leaves laying on the bank with your stupid foot in the photo. How about an article on the effect of that on striper mortality. 

If I take a picture like that, that fish ain't going back.  I would have assumed that for anyone taking such pictures.

but then again, If I'm putting a fish back though.... I don't take pictures.

GOD people suck!