squidder 329

Computer Issue (laptop)

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice, I have had an issue about once a week  for the last month, the first time Xfinity helped me reset  It was even more difficult today so I suspect the issue is becoming critical. The laptop is about 3 yrs old an HP  Windows 8.1, so is it worth getting fixed, I use it mainly for browsing the net and storing photo's backed up in Google photo's. If repairs is viable anyone know someone in Cape May county area?

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

Network cards rarely go physically bad. I would first check to see if there is a new driver for that card.

try installing  new one if you find it.

if there isn't a new one make sure you have a current copy of the existing one. Uninstall then reinstall

Yes do a google search in that Realtek RTL... You have in the first image and look for its device driver and check the version of it. Hopefully there is a newer one than the one listed in your screen snap

I generally find these windows network troubleshooting messages suspect and very general. If you're using WiFi, the 2nd error shown in your first post I find suspect.  I had a similar problem with my mothers laptop and it turned out to be interference from a next door neighbors WiFi. For some reason my mothers router defaulted to static WiFi channel.  Accessing the router I set it to auto and it has been OK since.

another thing you can try is to open up a command prompt and run IPCONFIG /RELEASE then followed by IPCONFIG /RENEW

I followed BK's advice and all seems well and I found a local guy in case it goes sour. 

Walter I'll start to research your advice today, certainly a learning curve involved totally new to me. Thank you.

10 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

I followed BK's advice and all seems well and I found a local guy in case it goes sour. 

Walter I'll start to research your advice today, certainly a learning curve involved totally new to me. Thank you.

Do t pay anyone to do anything worst case i might be able to help you remotely with a webex

It looks like the driver for the Wifi card got corrupted or removed. It happens sometime due to windows update or resetting your laptop. If you have a ethernet cable and ethernet port on your laptop, then you can connect it through wired connection and use it that way. Or you can buy cheap $10 usb wifi card and use that way. Otherwise you will need to grab the correct wifi card driver from the hp website by looking up through serial number of your laptop. Pm me if you have questions. BTW windows 8 is worst crap out there,