bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 11-07-2017

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I was hoping that today would be somewhat like yesterday but as they say "lightning never strike twice in the same place". I don't really buy into that when it comes to fishing but it is not uncommon for things to be the same for a few days back to back.

I think the "kiss of death fish" on the first cast is something I do buy into more. This is the culprit.

P1090299sol.JPG.614720a48a1664b2eac22f598f4ca774.JPG

The shellers were out in full force and today and totally just screwed things up by wading all through the trough today so I decided walk the outside bar to look for Snook, I did see one dark area and that turned out to be small jacks.

The fishing today came an abrupt halt when I stepped on a Stingray. Painful would be an understatement, I don't think I ever felt a burning sensation that bad, it felt like a sharp electric shock that wiggled. The burning intensity just got stronger over time. The bleeding was fast in the beginning and I just let it bleed hoping that would flush out some of the venom. I was about a mile from the car and it was the longest mile I ever walked. I finally made it back to the house and as able t soak it in some vinegar and that helped but I think putting my foot in hot water and kept swapping  the water out and after about 4 hours the foot pain was minimal. 

P1090301sol.JPG.a2197744e5cb997ab9d86339372ca117.JPG

I think tomorrow I may have to do boots for a day and I may try a different area that hopefully will have less shellers.

I know for me fishing about 135 days last year I can relate it to baseball batter's average , the more you play the batting average goes down .Its not suppose to work that way but more fishing days can lower the catchers average .You what they say " Can't go into the batters's box to bunt " . I know @ times the wadding booties are uncomfortable sand between the skin & such while walking , but its a must in Fla. Thanks for sharing Hope you feel better soon . Its a nasty injury . 

Two years ago I stepped on a puffer fish ( blow fish )  I was walking in the sand and didn't notice  it. Thank god it was dead. When there dead they don't release the venom .  I stepped right square on its back.  My foot was sore for a week.  You really seen to wear boots when walking the shore line down there.

What happen to your Simm's flat boats that you wore.

Edited by ccb

I still have the flats boots but I have really gotten into the habit of wading barefoot. This was a good lesson however to pay attention to whats in front of you. I will certainly have to reconsider the bare foot thing.

Edited by bonefishdick

It doesn't look like much of a puncture but you really need to keep an eye on the  wound - at the first sign of infection, get to a doctor and get on antibiotics.  

Dick, how prevalent are the stingrays there?  I remember seeing lots of the cow-nose rays, but don't remember seeing any stingrays during my visit (although you would expect a few to be around, just because Florida).

AP 

5 hours ago, AndrewP said:

Dick, how prevalent are the stingrays there?  I remember seeing lots of the cow-nose rays, but don't remember seeing any stingrays during my visit (although you would expect a few to be around, just because Florida).

AP 

I don't think there is a day when you will not see Stingrays, most are small and they seem to have no preference on where they like to lay or swim. I'm not sure when you see more at certain times of the year. The Cownose rays are very prevalent in the Spring and are very easy to spot, they like to travel in schools and always seem to be moving as I am sure you know.