Southcoastphil

First-ever Breachway Fishing Yesterday!

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

After way too long, I finally got to fish one of your breachways yesterday.  If the Charlestown Bway is any indication, I can now see why you are all so passionate about fishing them, for that was some of THE most fishy-looking water that I have ever seen. 

(Before you flame me for spot-burning, I got SKUNKED!!!)

TLDR VERSION:  Great looking water.  Heavy E winds sukked.  Met some nice guys and some interesting characters.  All in all, a great day.

I'll divide my comments into two parts: 

The fishing

The people

FISHING

Got there around 0800, so just before the top of the filling tide. 

(An OOPS/NOOB note here:  Although I'd read about lag times at breachways back in May, that notion escaped me until it was at least 2 hours after high tide and the water was still moving into the pond and we're wondering "WTF?  When will this water change direction?"  Duh.  Looks like that Bway has a 3-hour lag time, according to what I saw at the tackle shop on my way home.  Can any of you share the lag times for other breachways?)

Some micros caught in the pond.  Rumors of various bait in the pond, but I cannot confirm, for I didn't see any.

E winds of 18-22 mph steady, with gusts to high 20s I'll estimate.  All but impossible to keep a too-big belly out of my line, even with sidearm line-drive casts just over the tops of the breakers.  (and there were some waves of easily 10' of more). 

Those waves were crashing into the base of that jetty (well, and all along that jetty) like they were trying to decimate it.  Nice waves were breaking into the bowl at the base of the jetty, but even when I waded out I was only able to get some semblance of a good retrieve on 1 out of 5 casts. 

Got out onto the jetty about three hours after the tide had started falling.  Still windy as all h3ll, but could flip a cast to the inside of the W wall of that jetty in hopes that bass were feeding in the backflow from the waves slamming onto the rocks.  Tried BTs, wooden sinking needles, super-sinking needles, metal lips and tins, but no love.  (I'll admit that I effed up by not bringing heavier--and more sparsely-tied--BTs and lead head jigs with rubber, for I definitely could have used them both.)

Moved, finally, closer to the end of the jetty to toss stuff into the maelstrom that had formed as the outflow fought with the big waves.  Tried tins, Conrads, etc., letting them all drift out with the current.  Nuthin.

PEOPLE:

Met some interesting folks in the parking lot and on the sand. 

To the GUY COTTON guys we met on the sand, thanks for all of the insights about those surf tops!  If you read this, please PM me so we can share tips about our respective home waters.

Same goes for the guys from Worcester, MA.  Thanks for your tips and PM me at any time!

At one point, my buddy and I decided to head to DD for some hot coffee when the guy in the red flatbed truck next to us says, "When you come back I'll have some chowdah for you."  I'm thinking "WTF?  Man *this* guy is pretty hardcore if he's bringing potatoes, clams, garlic, etc. to make chowder during a fishing day!"

I learn from my buddy that Bill lives in his truck.  Very pleasant guy, as I had learned while chatting with him, and his friend Jack, at various times during the morning. 

After my buddy had to leave (good thing I had those jumper cables!) I partook of Billy's chowdah, which was delicious.  The fact that he made it all over a little burner that was powered by small Coleman propane tanks made his cooking all the more admirable.

At various times during the morning, he bought out some solar-powered illuminated Thanksgiving trinkets, which he removed from their packages and hung on a broken rod that was angled back at about 45* in the back of his truck.  And we got to talking about some of the fishing rods and artwork that he wanted to sell.

As we are all shooting the breeze (around 2:00 PM) a woman walks over with her 5-yo daughter, because the daughter had seen the trinkets hanging from the rod, to inquire about them.  She (mom) spoke with an E European accent and we were asked to guess her native tongue.  I opted for Czech and Billy opined Slavic.  Turns out that he was more accurate than I was, for the tongue was Slavic and she came from the Czech Republic.  When questioned about how he knew that, Billy responded by saying that he'd worked in the NHL for many years, so he'd known many Czech hockey players.

Anyway, the little girl is curious about the trinkets and Billy takes one down and shows it to her.  Next thing I know, he's getting something out of the cab of his truck and brings out a plastic glow-in-the-dark Halloween skeleton that's on some stretch cord, so one could make it dance.   The girl was infatuated with that, so he gave it to her.  Man, you should have seen the smile on her face! 

Although we all  know that there are no fish in RI, I had a GREAT time.  Can't wait to get back there again v soon!!!

Edited by Southcoastphil

11 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

After way too long, I finally got to fish one of your breachways yesterday.  If the Charlestown Bway is any indication, I can now see why you are all so passionate about fishing them, for that was some of THE most fishy-looking water that I have ever seen. 

(Before you flame me for spot-burning, I got SKUNKED!!!)

I'll divide my comments into two parts: 

The fishing

The people

FISHING

Got there around 0800, so just before the top of the filling tide. 

(An OOPS/NOOB note here:  Although I'd read about lag times at breachways back in May, that notion escaped me until it was at least 2 hours after high tide and the water was still moving into the pond and we're wondering "WTF?  When will this water change direction?"  Duh.  Looks like that Bway has a 3-hour lag time, according to what I saw at the tackle shop on my way home.  Can any of you share the lag times for other breachways?)

Some micros caught in the pond.  Rumors of various bait in the pond, but I cannot confirm, for I didn't see any.

E winds of 18-22 mph steady, with gusts to high 20s I'll estimate.  All but impossible to keep a too-big belly out of my line, even with sidearm line-drive casts just over the tops of the breakers.  (and there were some waves of easily 10' of more). 

Those waves were crashing into the base of that jetty (well, and all along that jetty) like they were trying to decimate it.  Nice waves were breaking into the bowl at the base of the jetty, but even when I waded out I was only able to get some semblance of a good retrieve on 1 out of 5 casts. 

Got out onto the jetty about three hours after the tide had started falling.  Still windy as all h3ll, but could flip a cast to the inside of the W wall of that jetty in hopes that bass were feeding in the backflow from the waves slamming onto the rocks.  Tried BTs, wooden sinking needles, super-sinking needles, metal lips and tins, but no love.  (I'll admit that I effed up by not bringing heavier--and more sparsely-tied--BTs and lead head jigs with rubber, for I definitely could have used them both.)

Moved, finally, closer to the end of the jetty to toss stuff into the maelstrom that had formed as the outflow fought with the big waves.  Tried tins, Conrads, etc., letting them all drift out with the current.  Nuthin.

PEOPLE:

Met some interesting folks in the parking lot and on the sand. 

To the GUY COTTON guys we met on the sand, thanks for all of the insights about those surf tops!  If you read this, please PM me so we can share tips about our respective home waters.

Same goes for the guys from Worcester, MA.  Thanks for your tips and PM me at any time!

At one point, my buddy and I decided to head to DD for some hot coffee when the guy in the red flatbed truck next to us says, "When you come back I'll have some chowdah for you."  I'm thinking "WTF?  Man *this* guy is pretty hardcore if he's bringing potatoes, clams, garlic, etc. to make chowder during a fishing day!"

I learn from my buddy that Bill lives in his truck.  Very pleasant guy, as I had learned while chatting with him, and his friend Jack, at various times during the morning. 

After my buddy had to leave (good thing I had those jumper cables!) I partook of Billy's chowdah, which was delicious.  The fact that he made it all over a little burner that was powered by small Coleman propane tanks made his cooking all the more admirable.

At various times during the morning, he bought out some solar-powered illuminated Thanksgiving trinkets, which he removed from their packages and hung on a broken rod that was angled back at about 45* in the back of his truck.  And we got to talking about some of the fishing rods and artwork that he wanted to sell.

As we are all shooting the breeze (around 2:00 PM) a woman walks over with her 5-yo daughter, because the daughter had seen the trinkets hanging from the rod, to inquire about them.  She (mom) spoke with an E European accent and we were asked to guess her native tongue.  I opted for Czech and Billy opined Slavic.  Turns out that he was more accurate than I was, for the tongue was Slavic and she came from the Czech Republic.  When questioned about how he knew that, Billy responded by saying that he'd worked in the NHL for many years, so he'd known many Czech hockey players.

Anyway, the little girl is curious about the trinkets and Billy takes one down and shows it to her.  Next thing I know, he's getting something out of the cab of his truck and brings out a plastic glow-in-the-dark Halloween skeleton that's on some stretch cord, so one could make it dance.   The girl was infatuated with that, so he gave it to her.  Man, you should have seen the smile on her face! 

Although we all  know that there are no fish in RI, I had a GREAT time.  Can't wait to get back there again v soon!!!

Very cool 

Oh, chit!  I forgot to mention that, after finishing Billy's chowdah, I asked about trash vs recycling.  (He washes and re-uses as much as he can.  Plastic utensils get recycled.)

"Now that bag right there, it isn't recycling.  One of my friends just dropped off some trout for me."

I'm thinking "Trout?  Who has trout in SoCo????"

"Here, ya want some?" as he opens a plastic bag filled with ziplock bags that are full of frozen trout.  Rainbows, a few brookies and some Golden trout.

WTF???  Golden trout???